Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified Regiment. Photo of cap badge and soldier

nsaspdin

Can anyone identify this regiment please?

I am sorry...the photo came off the internet at a resolution at which I am posting it or I would have posted it larger.

post-10630-0-85602000-1357599295_thumb.j

Many thanks

Nigel Aspdin

Can you add a close up of the cap badge Nigel?

No...I am sorry...the photo came off the internet at a resolution at which I posted it or I would have posted it larger.

It came with a description as MCG, which it clearly is not, although the soldier may well have gone to MCG when it was formed, from his earlier regiment.

Nigel

I'd say Rifle Brigade, or one of the London battalions with a similar badge.

No shoulder title, but is that some form of formation patch slightly down from the left shoulder?

RFC??? Hampsghire Regt???

Thank you to the last two posts..........RFC??? Hampsghire Regt???....................or..................7th(Leeds Rifles) Bn P.W.O. West Yorkshire Regt. ??

Here are images of those badges i found:

post-10630-0-58094000-1357685132_thumb.j post-10630-0-47647400-1357685086_thumb.j

I find the right hand image of 7th (Leeds Rifles) Bn P.W.O. West Yorkshire Regt compelling for the following reasons:

1.....The wreath is slightly flattened each side, less rounded than other suggestions above.

2.....The soldier was born in Calais, but to English parents working in France. The father was a mining engineer from Doncaster originally, so he would very likely direct his son back to Yorkshire to enlist.

But any more comments greatly appreciated please, including a better image than the out of focus Leeds RiflesI found on an Ebay page.

Nigel

I'd still stick with Rifle Brigade. As you know where he was born and where his dad came from I assume you have a name for him: if you post it someone can check the Medal Index Cards and see if a regiment comes up.

Can't be Hampshires as they were not Royal - thus with crown above - until after WW2 (1946). I'd rule out RFC as it doesn't look domed enough in the centre. And no RFC shoulder titles of any kind. The battle patch on the sleeve might be the key to all this.

• 2 weeks later...

how about Dental Corps or Veterinary Corps?

Rich

the badge doesn't apper to have a cross in the centre. well looking through my eyes anyway.

Rich