Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guiardsman from Barton upon Humber

toofatfortakeoff

Greetings this is a Guardsman of Barton upon Humber. I'm sure he's a private-perhaps an expert can point us to the correct Battalion. We had two who joined the third both killed in 1914 within first week of war. They lived on same street in Barton and both joined the 3rd Battalion, one a Sgt and the other a private. Did the Guards do mugshots of their men? Many thanks. Seanio

I should add both were Coldstream!

post-6619-0-34096500-1357557675_thumb.jp

Hello Seanio

Both the cuff and tunicbuttons are wrong for the Coldstream Guards. Are you sure about the regiment? He looks more like a Royal Marine to me.

You might like to try asking the Mods to move this thread to the Uniforms section of the "Paraphernalia of War" subforum, or re-post there. That will bring out the Forum experts most likely to help you.

As far as I know, none of the regiments took "mug shots" in that period, but the service records of the Guards regiments are still held by their respective regimental HQs, so you might like to ask them.

Brilliant Ron thats a great help I just blew up the hat andit seems to have marines globe in there

I

Seanio, I cannot help with ID on your man but was wondering if you knew about Spr Wilson who lived at Laurel House (still there!) Barton upon Humber. Reason being is that at the Hotel Diamant (Arras) they have opened up the underground cellar and Spr wilson was stationed in the tunnels under Arras prior to mounting an attack on the unsuspecting Germans. He has inscribed into the chalk a very clear inscription giving his name, regiment, service number, home address, and date he wrote it, sad thing is he was KIA appx 5 days later and is buried in a military cemetery just outside Arras. Philippe the hotel owner said to me if any of his relatives can be found he would give them a free stay at his hotel.I do have a nice clear image of the inscription if you need one. All the best Seanio, Ian Gawthorpe.

Hi Ian Im not sure who you mean. I have Lauren house at Barton for sure. But my only Wilson I think is William Henry Clapson details as follows and this family definitely lived there though there ere Wilsons ALSO living at this house which is a very large place...so this is very intriguing the only Barton Wilson I have is Herbert Alex. Wilson who was serving with the 8th Royal Fusiliers-not sure yt where he was living in Barton when he enlisted. Yes an image would be brilliant because we might have an unknown Barton casualty to add to the new stones we are hoping to put up at the Cenotaph. Wilson was maybe a servant at the house?

WIlliam Henry Clapson Private 202396. 6th Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment. Killed in action 16th August 1917, aged 33 years. Son of Thomas and Betsy Clapson of Barton on Humber, husband of Alice Maud Clapson of ‘Laurel House’, Barton on Humber, Lincs. Born Barton on Humber and enlisted Lincoln, Lincs. Commemorated New Irish farm cemetery. XII.F.11. this info from rolllofhonour.com more or less matches my research. Claosons were boat builders and quite well to do family.

Hi,

Don't think this is the Spr Wilson but there is a Charles F WILSON Notts & Derby Casualty whose

parents lived in Barton-on-Humber Link

Terry

Hi Terry this would I think be Charles Foster Wilson and I believe a new one on me-just going to check my blog another one to add to the Barton plaques. Thanks for the info on this man..Burnham Beeches is little more than a farm but interesting had one deserter one killed in action (Wilson) and one half blinded (officer 5th Lincs) Another name for the new plaques thanks again Terry

And we also have Herbert Alex WIlson of the Royal Fusiliers. Here are my details of him

Herbert Alexander WILSON

41 years old

9th April 1917

Private 42616 Royal Fusiliers

He was called up at what seems quite an age to be sent to the front, but by this time recruitment was desperate, the volunteer armies having been crushed on the Somme. The Royal Fusiliers went through many battalions. Herbert left a widow, Sarah Jane, of 22 Valley Street, Windhill, Shipley, Yorkshire. Herbert is buried at Gourock Trench Cemetery, ref: A.2.8H at Tiloy les Mouflaines in the Arras dept. It looks as though Herbert at one time had been manager of a billiard saloon in Calverley Mill, at Eccleshill Bradford.

Seanio, Got your message, I will send you the image as soon as I collar my wife ( I am not very good doing technical stuff on computers!!). But in the meantime I can clear up some details: your man is - H. A. WILSON, number 42616, his regiment is Royal ?????????, I cannot work out the last word (although someone with more computer skills than me would be able to decipher it). Hopefully this info will pinpoint your man and I will send image to you, I do have some laminated images I was going to show the present owners of Laurel house as I live in "ULL but have never got round to it, best wishes Seanio, Ian.

AH! just seen your post Seanio, you have your man already, at least we know abit more about him now and the lasting memory he left underneath a town in France!, Ian.

• 2 months later...

Hello again right I now have a photo of him in 5th Lincolns as well. If you are a marine, are you just classed officially as ''navy''?