Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Volunteer/Militia RED CHEVRON

1RGLI

I have read a local newspaper article dated Feb 1915

Two privates of the 1ST Bn RGLI and one Cpl and 15 Privates of the 2nd Bn, RGLI (These are both Militia battalions’ at this point in 1915). Have been deprived of the RED CHEVRON which denotes that the wearer is a volunteer.

His Excellency the Lieut-Governor has directed this course owning to these men, though passed medically fit, refusing to take the oath at the last moment.

The NCO and men are not named in the news article.

This clearly cannot be the 1914 Overseas 1yr red Service Chevron that we are aware of, as these were not awarded until January 1918? And were worn in addition and above the blue 1yr overseas service chevrons, the maximum being from 1914 1 red – 1915 onwards to 1919 4 blue

So what do these VOLUNTEER red service chevrons look like and where are they worn?

Mark.

Possibly their Good Conduct Badges??

• 1 month later...

5 blue!: 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919

How comes a corporal had to take the oath? Was this oath additional? Was the reporter drunk?

I know of no such chevron, Militia or otherwise, and even less about Militia admin after 1908 when although not disbanded, Militia were allowed to wither on the vine. A grey area for me at least. It appears that some volunteers were sent as a company [or two?] embedded in a battalion of another regiment, and later, in 1916, Militia men were recruited/ conscripted for the newly formed service battalions of the newly-titled RGLI.

It would seem, therefore that in and before 1915 the Guernsey authorities could authorise [and pay for] whatever badge they fancied .... perhaps the chevron was a counterpart to the Imperial Service badge of the pre-war TF, denoting the same willingness for active service.

I have seen reference before to the chevron as being similar in operation to the Imperial Service badge in that it was used to identify the volunteers however I have never seen one to see exactly what form it took.

If all else fails try contacting the museum and they may be able to help - http://www.armymuseums.org.uk/museums/0000000098-Royal-Guernsey-Light-Infantry--Militia-Museums.htm

As an aside there seems to be a nominal roll here - http://www.greatwarci.net/army/guernsey/rgli/roll/nr-a-z.pdf