Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

21st Bn. Manchester Regt - July, 1916

Ken Lees

Does anyone have access to the War Diary for the 21st Battalion, Manchester Regt. for the month of July, 1916?

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Thanks Graeme,

That was quick!

I wonder why their casualties from that period are commemorated on the Arras Memorial? :unsure:

Anyone have the previous days? Ideally the 9th July onwards.

Thanks again,

Ken

Battalion history has them being relieved to Buire on 4/7, where they stayed until 11/7. On the 13th, to Mametz Halte and, next day to Sabot Copse in brigade reserve. They were sent forward in support next day to around Bazentin-le -Petit (and Grand). Relieved on 16th back to Mametz Halte where they stayed until the 19th. Then to Becordel and, next day,to near Buire. Entrained at Mericourt on the 22nd to Hangest and Bertangles. On the 29th, marched to Montuaban and attached to 22nd Brigade around Bernafay Wood.

From 3/10/17 to the evening of 6/10, they were under the orders of 22/Manchester , acting as support and carrying parties, around Polygon Wood.

Thanks John.

I know that a fair number of men were sent to the 21st Bn from the 55th Division Base Depot, Rouen on 9th July. Many were killed or wounded in the following week in the High Wood area. I was hoping the War Diary might give me an idea of how many reinforcements arrived around that time.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

John/Monstar,

Many thanks for your replies, much appreciated,

Regards,

Graeme

PS, Dont suppose you have the 22nd Battalion, for October 1917 by any chance, many thanks ??

Graeme

• 8 months later...

hi still new here i was wondering if there were any photos of the 21st manchesters

cheers found them

• 2 years later...

Do you by any chance have the August diary? I was over at Delville Wood last month where my grandfather was wounded on the 29th August, and I'd be interested to see what was going on around late August particularly. On his casualty record it states 'G.S.W.' which I assume is gunshot wound. He was actually in the King's Liverpool Regiment, but was attached to the 21st Manchesters from 10 July, so the July page of the diary is very interesting too.

Many thanks.

Mick

• 3 months later...

The July diary was really useful for me too, researching my grandfather who was in the King's Liverpool Regiment, but was attached to the 21st Manchesters during this period. - Is anyone able to let me have the August diary, or let me know a website I can access it please? My grandfather was with the 21sts when he was wounded at Delville Wood on 29 August, and I would be very interested to read the diary for the dates leading up to the 29th August.

Also, is there any record that indicates which of A,B,C or D Coy he was with?

Many thanks for your help with this.

Mick