Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brodie helmets - How to identify

depaor01

Could somebody post a beginner's guide to what exactly a Brodie helmet is, if there was any other type of British helmet in WWI, and how they differed from WW2?

I'm reading about them constantly and have never seen a comparison or "Idiot's Guide". In fact they all look the same to me apart from the liners...

Thanks as always,

Dave

Failing this, simply search on this forum under Brodie and you should find a wealth of information etc.

David

Thanks for the info lads. I guess my difficulty is that discussions about brodies are quite detailed and assume prior knowledge.

So. For slow learners: A Brodie is simply the design of British Army helmet worn in both WWI and WW2, and not a particular type of WWI helmet...?

John Brodie designed the 'tin helmet' as worn in WW1, hence its name. The design was esentially the same in WW2, but there are a number of specific differences between the two and once you recognise these differences, such as the width of the brim (wider in WW1), you find you can tell one from another very easily. The threads that discuss the helmet will contain lots more information.

David