Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mons March 2004

Mark Hone

I am starting to make long term plans for myself and possibly some senior NCOs from our CCF (all battlefield tour veterans) to participate in next year's 'Mons March'. I had actually considered doing some kind of sponsored walk off our own bat but have recently learned via Info-X that there are plans for an organised event. Our difficulty is in securing authentic period gear. There will be at most half a dozen of us I should think. We would like to go as Lancashire Fusiliers, our original CCF parent regiment, or in my case Royal Warwicks (My great-uncle 721 Private John Hone 1st Royal Warwicks took part in the retreat). I understand that there is a local re-enactment group who appear as the Manchester Pals at English Heritage properties etc. I might try contacting them for advice. Does anyone know their address?

Mark

For the last year there has been running a 'Birmingham Pals Great War Living History Group.' They too will be going on the Mons Walk in 2004.

They represent the 1st Birmingham battalion.

I attend many presentations with them. I do a slide show giving information on the original Birmingham Pals and then one of them talks about the uniforms and equipment, finishing with a 'hand on' session for people to get a close up look and feel etc. So far we have done a couple of 6th Form colleges and about to do Aston Univesity ex graduates, visited the Somme and they are to participate in the Anzac Day parade in London.

I am sure If I chat with them, they might be able to help you out.

Cheers

Terry

Mark

Have a try at Chairman of Lancs & Cheshire WFA. I'm sure I saw some leaflets about them doing something at Heaton Park (north Manchester) in the not too distant future. I'm afraid I wasnt paying too much attention but I think that they call themselves "The Manchester Regiment".

(PS: just returned from Fulwood Barracks after a day at the archives. The people there are really helpful and there's very comprehensive info on the East, North & South Lancs Regiments. Thanks for the tip many months ago. Another 12 ticked off my research list !)

John

• 7 months later...

mark hone

did you have any luck with getting hold of the manchester of b'hams