Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drill Hall and Chapel for 3rd Londons

Jim Hastings

Hi All,

I'm tracing the war of a Great grandfather of a friend of mine who served in the 3rd Londons.He enlisted pre-war. LLT indicates that 3rd Londons were based at Edward St in Hampstead Road - does any member know if the Drill Hall still exists, even if converted? I cannot seem to locate Edward St and assume it has been renamed? My friend is keen to see it if possible.

Also, is there a Chapel that is dedicated to 3rd Londons at all, or are they included within the Royal Fusilier's one at St Sepulchre - without - Newgate?

Much appreciated

Jim

I'll draw Graeme's attention to your question. He is much more familiar with the London material than I am.

Gwyn

Jim,

There is a Little Edward Street, runs up the side of St Georges Cathedral, off of Redhill Street. Close by is Edward Mews. Both are just off of Albany Street though, rather than Hampstead Road.

Phil

Many thanks Gwyn and Phil, I get thoroughly lost north of the water!! Would appreciate that Gwyn

best wishes

Jim

In a much earlier post:

lidzy

Dec 10 2004, 10:18 AM

I've been researching the 3rd Battalion London Regiment, so I thought I'd have a little go at trying to find a photo of their drill hall. (The local guide book "From Primrose Hill to Euston Road" states that the 3rd Volunteer Battalion Royal Fusiliers leased the building between 1860 and 1921 - it had earlier been a Vestry board room and offices). A long day's search at the local history library in Holborn showed that they have no photos of the drill hall, unfortunately. The WW2 bomb damage map for the street it was situated in (now Varndell Street, called Edward Street until 1938) show that the building was slightly damaged by bombing. The whole area was demolished and replaced by a council estate built during the 50's and 60's. I was born in the street - the actual site of the drill hall is now a low block of flats called Staveley.

Tony

There's some questions over the dates of occupation; the original units, th 20th, then the 11th Middlesex, were at 22 George street in 1859, and 5 Albany street in 1880. I don't have a date for the move to Edward street, but it's listed in the 1899 Post Office Directory as 'Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) 3rd Volunteer Battalion late 11th Middlesex', moving to Paddington Green in 1913.

as Phil points out, it was renamed as Varndell street.