Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Centenary comic anthology

thatpoorsweetboy

Hello there. In years gone by, comics about WWI and WWII were common place, and in France and Belgium they are still produced and very much revered. I am comic book writer and my goal is to revive and reinvigorate this part of the genre, and in doing so commemorate the lives and deeds of those men and women who were affected by ‘the war to end all wars’.

What I plan to do is to put together an anthology of stories each ranging from 6-10 pages in length. The subject matter will be anything that relates to WWI, as long as it is honest and does not seek to glorify war. It will be historical or fictional using many styles - the only stipulation being that it has factually accurate context (i.e. creates characters and puts them in a fictional aspect of the ‘Battle of the Somme’, but ensures the detail around the battle is correct). Anyone who has read ‘Charley’s War’ by Pat Mills & Jim Colquhoun will know what I’m going on about! I also hope to use poetry and diary accounts alongside single illustrations.

I already have a few artists and writers on board, and will be seeking to enlist the help of the Imperial war Museum as an advocate of the project.

What I am looking for on this forum is any advice on places to go to find contributors who may not be used to working in the comic book field, but still have valuable stories to tell, for anyone who wishes to support the project to come forward, and for any advice that you feel may be useful.

If anyone is interested, or can help in any way,please email thatpoorsweetboy AT hotmail.co.uk

many thanks

Jonathan Clode

Edited by Kate Wills
e-mail edited for security

What I am looking for on this forum is any advice on places to go to find contributors who may not be used to working in the comic book field, but still have valuable stories to tell, for anyone who wishes to support the project to come forward, and for any advice that you feel may be useful.

Well, you found a contributor right here, I'm a comic artist by profession. I'm also currently researching a comic book about the Highland Division on the Somme. It'll be a fairly large book, though I do have some ideas for shorter tales which may fit well in to your project.

Anyhoo, best of luck for the project.

Cheers

KOF