Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

28 August 1914

Anthony Pigott

More from S.-D.'s 'Memories' :

"By that night, the 27th, and early the next morning (August 28th) the whole of the three Divisions were south of the Somme Canal, thirty-five miles from Le Cateau, in little over thirty hours. A wonderful performance for troops who were worn out before they left the battle-field ; their spirit, too, was splendid, for they were whistling and singing as they came along. The C.-in-C. came up to see them as they marched again south from Ham on the morning of the 28th, and I was very proud of their carriage. The 15th Brigade of Artillery, which had lost all its guns except two and many of its men, went by the Chief as though they were in the Long Valley.

Just before the Chief came up I had met an officer of the 4th Division whom I had known for years [Hunter Weston, according to Ballard - AP]. I had a short talk with him, and, noticing that he was not quite in his usual spirits, asked him if anything was the matter. He replied it was " the order " he had just received from me. He then went on to explain that an order had come to his Division a short time before saying the ammunition on wagons not absolutely required and other impedimenta were to be unloaded and officers and men carried to the full capacity of the transport. He went on to say that the order had had a very damping effect on his troops, for it was clear it would not have been issued unless we were in a very tight place. I told him I had never heard of the order, that the situation was excellent, the enemy only in small parties, and those keeping at a respectful distance, and that I was entirely at a loss to understand why such an order had been issued. Further, that I would at once send to Divisional Head-quarters to say the order was to be disregarded. My counter-order actually reached the 3rd and 5th Divisions in time, but the 4th Division had already acted on the order, burning officers' kits, etc., to lighten their wagons.

So when I met the Chief I told him of this order, being fully convinced someone had issued it by mistake. However, when Sir John told me it was his order and emphasised the necessity for it by refusing to accept, what he called, my optimistic view of the situation, there was nothing more to be said. Later on I ascertained that the order had come from G.H.Q. when I was away, and, being a C.-in-C's order of an urgent nature, my administrative Staff had rightly circulated it at once. It was unfortunate, for had I seen it I should have protested to G.H.Q. before circulating it and I feel sure the Chief would have cancelled it on learning the true situation, and thus have saved an increase of suffering to those who by acting on it sacrificed their spare clothes, boots, etc., at a time when they urgently needed them.

This day we marched to Noyon, about twelve to fourteen miles, crossing the Oise at that place. I was able to see most of the troops on the march. They could not understand why we were retiring, for they considered they had given as good as they got every time they had met the Germans, and were anxious to go at them again. I took the opportunity of explaining that we were not falling back because we had been beaten, but to comply with the French strategical scheme. I was particularly struck by the march discipline of the Artillery. They made a brave show. How glad we were to get four hours' sleep at last. The whole army wanted it. I reckoned that my Staff and I had averaged less than two hours' sleep in the previous six nights."

Just before the Chief came up I had met an officer of the 4th Division whom I had known for years [Hunter Weston, according to Ballard - AP]. I had a short talk with him, and, noticing that he was not quite in his usual spirits, asked him if anything was the matter. He replied it was " the order " he had just received from me.

Anthony, I thought that the officer that spoke to Sd was Snow the div commander of 4th div, not Hunter Weston. i have a copy of Snows account of the retreat and I am sure it is mentioned in this I will pull it out in the next few days and see what it says.

Keep it coming.

Arm.