Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Back from the battlefields for the first time

Guest joanne

Dear Pals

I am just back from the battlefields for the first time. It was a journey I will never forget. I went with a small company (whom I will not name - so as not to advertise) with specific requests. I wanted to plant a tree for my great uncle Pte Hugh Cairns in the place where he was killed at Passchendaele. He has no known grave and died when he was 20 years.

The Passchendaele memorial museum organised the whole thing. The mayor of Ieper was present and spoke about the pain and scarfice of the losses of the Great War, there was also representatives from the Belgium army and navy, a bugler, workers from the parks department to plant the tree, an anglican priest to bless the tree, people from the press, onlookers and others. It was so lovely. I talked about Hugh and his family in Glasgow and where he came from. My tour guide recited a beautiful poem, the priest said a prayer, the mayor spoke, the bugler played the last post, and at the end I sang 'Loch lomond' because it was a song we both would known even after 90 years. The tree has a plaque in front of it with an inscription for Hugh and the Belgium authorities have encased the base in concrete so that it will always be there. There was also a beautiful ceremony at Tyne Cot for Hugh and another soldier.

If you are interested please see the photos on the museum website at: http://www.zonnebeke.be/ - The link says Tyne Cot - it's in Flemish.

I have had emails from teachers in Belgium and the museum requesting Hugh's story so that when they take people and pass the tree they can tell everyone why the tree is there and who Hugh was. I just feel that this is an incredible thing to be able to do for him. I can never thank the people of Belgium enough for their kindness and sensitivity. If anyone is visiting Ieper, please visit the Passchendaele memorial museum, it is excellent and if you pass Hugh's tree near Passchendaele please spend a momment to reflect and say hello.

Thanks pals...it was only through this forum and the infromation I received that I was able to do this.

Best wishes.

Joanne

From your description, I guessed which tour group you used - and I was confirmed correct in the web article from Zonnebeke. I guessed because I went with them on my first visit to the battlefields, and it was brilliant. I had the time of my life, the comaraderie was marvellous - helped I am sure by the small size of the group. There may be better, but I'd always recommend them for anyone on their first visit to the Western Front. It certainly sounds as if you had a wonderful time - and good weather!

Joanne,

What a touching tribute to your Great Uncle Hugh!, and also to all the missing, my Great Grandfather being one of them.

I really envy you, I long to go there one day.

Your choice of song was perfect!

cheers Shelley :D

Joanne

This is a lovely story and you will have a living memorial to your Great Uncle.

Congratulations to all who helped you to make this dream a reality.

Best wishes

Martin

I can only confirm what Joanne said about the Ceremony both at Tyne Cot and the planting of the tree: heartwarming, emotional. By the way you have a lovely voice Joanne.

Jacky

What a fantastic ceremony! A pity I didn't know about it when I was in Ieper the week after as I would have made a point of visiting the tree when I was cycling in the Passendale area. Could you give us an exact location? I hope to see it in October.

Joanne.

What a great story and congratulations on such a great tribute to Hugh. How did you get the museum to organise this - was it just a case of asking?

Can I reiterate mark's request for an exact location as I will be in Ypres in October and would like to stop by.

Thanks.

Neil

Hi Jon, Shelley, Chris, Martin, Jacky, Mark, Neil

Many thanks everyone for your kind comments. It was a wonderful experience. I was very lucky in booking my visit with an extremely conscientious and meticulous company. Neil - they contacted the Passchendaele museum and the museum just seemed to put everything in place. They didn't even accept payment for the tree. It was also a wonderful opportunity to let people in the media know that after all these years there are many, many people who still care about those lost in the great war.

Mark, Neil - the location of the tree is if you go past Vartlett Farm some way you'll come to a juction with 'Haringstraat' go down that road and at the bend there is a sign saying 'Goudberg' The tree is there. I hope you can find it. I plan to go there again next year. Probably cycling too...great place for cyclists!

Jacky ...Thank you very much! I'm glad you were there.

Shelley yes definitely for all the missing like you're great grandfather too. The tree I planted was a Hazel tree. This was because although the symbol of Glasgow (where he came from) was an oak tree the legend is that it grew out of the branch of a Hazel tree. So I thought the Hazel tree would symbolise all the youth that was lost from Glasgow (and of course from every country).

Thanks again!

Joanne

Joanne

What a wonderful tribute, well done.

Ieper is a place you HAVE to return to, I am going over in two weeks time, and hope to spend 3-4 weeks in the area, I will go and say hallo to the tree.

I am seriously impressed. Wow!!!! Great for you, great for us.

When ever I doubt about "goodwill" in this world I can re-read your story and look at the pictures on the site (which also points out how English-bound I am) ... You and the company you hired must be very proud and pleased.

The plaque is one thing ... the TREE is tremendous. Maybe it dates from before History, but humans and trees have special relationships and its life and symbolism will be a great monument to your ancestor and you.

Thank you for doing this ... thank you for sharing this ... (and thank you to the forum for letting us all share your moments ...

Hello Joanne,

I have missed a couple of days on the forum, so I have just now found out that you are the person, who were planting that tree on Goudberg. I was there too, but didn't link you to the Joanne of the forum. What a shame as now I didn't address to you directly (noticing that your attention was claimed by everyone). If I had known I definitely would have introduced myself... Just in case you remember: I was the person in the green dress, helping to serve drinks in Zonnebeke. Although I was invited as a guest it soon became clear to me that Marie-Rose, who was responsable to serve everyone, could do with some help... so I volonteered for the job.

I just want to add that I was very pleased to be able to attend the ceremony which I found very moving. Don't you worry about people not finding the tree: I will point it out to everyone who stays here. It is a some 2 km away from our farm...

I hope that next time we will have an opportunity to chat....

Charlotte :)

Rowly, many thanks for that. I agree it is a wonderful place to visit. I fully intend to return again, and hopefully with some of my family! Have a great trip.

Andy, Again many thanks for your good wishes. I am really pleased about the tree and his memory, it was very special. As you say somethign which is living and growing and will be there for generations is a lovely tribute. I am also very grateful for all the wonderful people who were there and helped to organise it. Including our own pal Charlotte - (whom I will definitely introduce myself the next time! Wish I'd known).

All the best.

Joanne

Hello Joanne,

I have missed a couple of days on the forum, so I have just now found out that you are the person, who were planting that tree on Goudberg. I was there too, but didn't link you to the Joanne of the forum. What a shame as now I didn't address to you directly (noticing that your attention was claimed by everyone). If I had known I definitely would have introduced myself... Just in case you remember: I was the person in the green dress, helping to serve drinks in Zonnebeke. Although I was invited as a guest it soon became clear to me that Marie-Rose, who was responsable to serve everyone, could do with some help... so I volonteered for the job.

I just want to add that I was very pleased to be able to attend the ceremony which I found very moving. Don't you worry about people not finding the tree: I will point it out to everyone who stays here. It is a some 2 km away from our farm...

I hope that next time we will have an opportunity to chat....

Charlotte :)

Hi Charlotte

I am sorry it is such a shame that I didn't introduce myself. And I do remember you, of course! Thank you so much for helping to serve the drinks at the museum...it was very kind of you and them and a beer was so welcome after the hot sun and the emotion of the lovely tributes.

That is great I'm really pleased you can direct anybody who wants to to the tree - I knew that it was not too far from your farm. Incidently what a great place to stay to explore the area. Yes, the next time I will definitely introduce myself and have a blether, perhaps over a beer.....I want to go back now actually!

Thanks again Charlotte, I'm sure we will meet properly in the future!

Take care.

Joanne

I was there too, but didn't link you to the Joanne of the forum...

Hi Joanne,

It sounds as though you may have an identity crisis, as Charlotte was probably expecting a Mrs Doyle lookalike. Ah, go on..! :D

Seriously, this is a wonderful tribute in so many ways, particularly environmentally. The tree will live and grow, and sense the passing seasons in the way Hugh should have done. It will give you increasing joy over the years. Well done.

I will be in the area on 19th September and will ask Charlotte to point out where it is.

Tree plantings are a great idea, I planted 2 for my parents in a place they loved and they are now 12 feet or so tall. I visit them regularly and have thereby created a special family place where I know my children will go.

Full marks to all who assisted - and a pat on the collective back of the Forum.

I think that this forum was but the vassel for your doing this wonderful and hounourable deed, but if this forum does nothing else the it will have served a great purpose.

excellent

Arm.

Kate,

Thank you so much. I look forward to returning and seeing this lovely tree grow grow. It is wonderful that in a place which must have seemed like hell for our ancestors is place which is beautiful, peaceful and full of friendship. I am sure this must mean something to them.

Ian - great, have a good trip on the 19th, much appreciated if you can visit. Let me know that all is well. It is lovley to know you have done the same for your parents. It must be a lovely spot to remember them and for all your family - it is like lighting a candle that doesn't go out.

Ian, Arm. Yes, indeed it was thanks to the forum, because it was through the forum that I found out what regiment Hugh was in, and when and where he died. And it was through a forum member 'Aliecoco' who got me the war diaries that enabled me to pinpoint the place where he was killed. And another forum member who suggested the company who might help me.

Thank you pals for all your good wishes.

Joanne

Hello Joanne,

On my next visit to zonnebeke will ask the museum to point me in the right direction for the tree. Very moving story and I think he will be remembered by a lot of people now. Also i have some expiriences with the museum and the comunity.

There very friendly, interrested and if possible will help were they can. Not only the local big wigs but also the comonpeople. Three cheers for little zonnebeke seems in order to.

Well i think Charlotte ;) is the best example of what kind of peole you find there.

Hope the tree grows there for the all coming generations.

coo-ee

patrick

Thanks Patrick, I think you are right and it is good to know that he will not be forgotton now, nor the others who are missing in this area.

Yes, was was really very touched by the kindess of all those I met and everyone at zonnebeke who made it possible. I even remember that there was a driver of a big tanker who couldn't get past because the road is narrow and because everyone was gathered. But he was quite happy just to wait and watch the service, even though he was there for a half hour I think.

I'm looking forward to seeing the area again. I too hope the tree grows well and strong. Enjoy your trip.

Give the museum and everyone over there my fond regards and thanks.

All the best.

Joanne

Joanne,

I thought you may be interested in this quotation, which is printed on the Rugby and District 29th Division OCA Memorial Service sheet 25th June 1939:

"The fine old avenue from Dunchurch was first planted by John, Duke of Montague in 1740, and was replaced by young trees as a lasting memorial to the great 29th Division, together with the handsome monolith, about 40 feet high (built on the spot where His Majesty King George took his stand when reviewing the troops prior to their departure for Gallipoli) from the people of Warwickshire, as a small token of their esteem, admiration and sorrow, the Trees to the Living, and the Stone to the Dead"