The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

13 Co RGA Training 1916

Cambridgekeith

My Grandfather was mobilised on 5/5/16 and was assigned to RGA 13 Co on 27/5/16. He saw active service with 294 Siege Battery in 1917 until he was injured.

I have the war diaries for 294 Siege battery, but have nothing about the training between joining 13 Co in May 1916 until active service in March 1917.

Can anyone suggest any lines of research I can follow

My Grandfather was mobilised on 5/5/16 and was assigned to RGA 13 Co on 27/5/16. He saw active service with 294 Siege Battery in 1917 until he was injured.

I have the war diaries for 294 Siege battery, but have nothing about the training between joining 13 Co in May 1916 until active service in March 1917.

Can anyone suggest any lines of research I can follow

Sadly it is hard to find anything specifc for individual batteries - the general trainng seems to be, some basic training then gunners posyted to companies (usually coastal defences) then posted in batches to form new batteries - I think 294 would have been formed early November 1916 - then training as a battery with finally live firing training before going to BEF. There is a really good blog by Ian Jones via this forum or accessible through my website, equally my notes on the training of 293 will give you an idea of the training generally. I assume you know where 13 coy where located? Landguard fort Harwich