Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

american cemeteries

kirkyboy

If anyone is visiting any of the WW1 Americam Cemeteries I have photographs that I need for my WW1 serving female casualty register project. Please get in touch.

jimstrawbridge@coinsale.fsnet.co.uk

There is a US Cemetery at Bony and a memorial at Bellicourt, recalling the actions of 27th and 30th Divisions there in September 1918.

There's also a monument at Cantigny (Somme Dept.) commemmorating the first large scale offensive action by US forces in May 1918.

Dave.

The Cantigny attack was by elements of the US 1st Division, no books with me and can't tell you which ones. The battlefield is completely intact.

The French wanted to be sure they succeded and put in lots of artillery but it was withdrawn just after the attack and there were heave counter attacks but village was held.

Colonel Robert McCormick was in this div., family owned Chicago Tribune, he left lots of $ to establish 1st Div museum called Cantigny at Wheaton, Illinois a fantastic facility. My friend John Votaw a WP grad & Ph.D is director.

The Cantigny attack was by elements of the US 1st Division, no books with me and can't tell you which ones.

Not too sure (same situ re: the books as you, Paul!) about other units, but the attack on Cantigny was led by the 28th Regiment, commanded by Col.Hanson Ely.

Dave.

Guest AmericanDoughboy

The Battle of Cantingy begun on May 28th and lead into May 31st of 1918. It is usually pushed to the side due to the large German Spring Offensive in the Chemin-Des-Dames area. Elements of the 1st Division, as said by Dave, led by the 28th Regiment, attacked the little town to show the astonishing efforts of the American Expeditionary Force. The AEF took Cantingy on May 31st, it was considered our first victory of the war and is usually spoken together with the Battle of Belleau Wood, which almost immediately occured afterwards.

Unfortunantly, I never visited Cantingy on my private battlefield trip two months ago, but I did visit the well preserved Belleau Wood Battlefield where various fox holes and shell holes still remain deep within the ground.

-Doughboy

And in nearby Torcy? there is a shell in a graage wall!

Chemin de Dames battle & other pressure is reason French withdrew their artillery from Cantigny so soon. There are some dug out remenants there too.

In Belleau Wood are remains of a German brigade headquarters which had been a small hunting lodge of some kind. I spoke to a Frenchman - they don't bite - who's family owned the land, he was hunting that day himself.