Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Blue FS cap help

Jerry B

A recent spur of the moment purchase and I am not sure as to the exact date and the unit by which it would have been worn. I am fairly certain it is the 1898 pattern which was used to 1904, so a little bit pre WWI though I think some units continued to wear them up to the war and maybe later.

It is all dark blue with a grey crown piping and the crown had been sewn shut to make it look more jaunty I assume. It has a leather sweatband and has no vent holes and the curtain is sewn up, so a fake curtain as it could not be folded down. I thought it might be a Kitchener blue, but that is not likely, though images of these are hard to find and I would assume that there were variations between those made, but still unlikely I think.

Any help would be appreciated.

post-91897-0-33761200-1356868046_thumb.j

post-91897-0-72820100-1356868137_thumb.j

I have already had a look at this thread which seems to be the only one on Kitchener blue caps, but it is quite different to the example I have shown though there is another cap shown that is said to be the 1898 pattern forage cap which has a leather sweatband that looks the same or very similar to the one in the cap I have shown.

The cap I have shown is a much shorter height than the WWII examples I own so I am fairly certain it is not from the later period.

I notice that the Kitchener blue cap appears to have its curtain sewn up which is not clear on the other cap shown. A book I have states that the Kitchener blue caps were of blue serge, rather than the ribbed fabric in the example shown.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=140724&hl=%2Bkitchener+%2Bblue

As far as I'm aware none of the pre-war infantry FSC's were piped on the crown and I've not noticed in piping in any period photo's or among Kitchener units - so if the piping is 'grey' then the only unit I recall having grey within their head-dress was the Army Catering Corps, but we all know this is a WWII formation. What pattern buttons are on the front - are they the standard GS with KC??

On reflection, the only units pre-WWI with coloured FSC's were Yeomanry units, but I haven't got any illustrations here with me to check.

Buttons are kings crown GS made by Buttons ltd Birmingham.

Thanks Graham for adding some information on this cap. It does not seem similar to any WWII examples I own, though coloured FS caps are a minefield from my experience trying to research them.

I found a catering corps sidecap and it is dark blue, but has a grey peak with yellow piping and yellow crown piping.

Hi Jerry,

From memory the 1894 caps were lower and less curved than the later style.

As Graham says the OR caps were plain blue (although the Officers had coloured ones).

It certainly is a minefield.

Cheers,

Taff

Hello Taff and thanks for taking the time to post.

It is much flatter in profile than the WWII examples I own and shorter in height as you mention. Also all the WWII examples I own do not have the leather sweatband. The mark left by the badge shows two things, firstly that it had a badge for a long time and secondly it appears to be longer than the WWII examples I own which I think is typical of earlier examples.

Hi Taff,

the cap I posted has a blue cotton drill lining except in the crown which is khaki canvas with an oily feel to it.

Thanks again for your help and input on this cap.