Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

19th Northumberland Fusiliers

johntanner

Does anyone have access to the war diary for this date? I am trying to get some information on 2nd/Lt Davies, who was killed on this date.

John

Hi

2nd Lt.Reginald Charles Davies, aged 21 d.1.6.1916 1.A.11. Veillor Chapelle New Military Cemetery,Lacouture. Enlisted at commencement of war. CWGC. Still searching

Regards Barry

Baptised 23.12.1892 Haringey. son of Edward James Viincent and Georgina Davies. Parents details same as details on CWGC address Brooklyn 8 Private Road, Enfield.

Barry

Thanks for this. Mostly confirms what I have, although I didn't have a date of enlistment.

John

Hi John

I presume you have seen his MIC?.Entered France 28.1,16. Previously 13th R.Fus.

Barry

His age is obviously wrong on CWGC. He is on the 1901 census aged 8, living with his parents and siblings listed under the name "Odavies", coupled with his baptism confirms the mistake. Public Tree on Ancestry, his brother Rev.Vincent Fuge Powell Davies died 1965 In Lincolnshire (Probate records)

Edited by The Inspector

Barry

Yes, I've seen the MIC but will correct his age on the basis of what you'vre given me from the census.

John

2/Lt R C Davies joined the battalion 7/5/15 and embarked 28/1/16

Early on 30th May/1st June the Pioneers were sent up in readiness to counter-attack after the enemy had demolished parts of the breastworks in Hun Street, west of Bois de Biez, on the 15th SF front and taken the trench. However, the 15th SF was able to drive them out and it was left to the lot of the 19th NF to repair the gaps in the breastworks. Although the job was completed successfully several lives were lost, a result of showers of rifle grenades aimed at preventing the breaches being closed.

(From Cooke's history)

Absolutely fantastic. Would you have any problem if I used the photograph on the roll of honour?

John

It's come from the history of the 19th Northumberland Fusiliers published 1920 so I can't see that there should be a problem

Regards

Martin