Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pardre/priest Paul Edward Hook 5th batt RWF

warby

hi , i wonder if the forum can help , i am trying to trace the service/medal record of Paul Edward Hook, he was born in hereford about 1873 at the time of the 1911 census he was priest/headmaster at ST Mary's College Holywell Flintshire, from what i have picked up through word of mouth he joined the 1/5th flintshire batt RWF and served as padre in the gallipoli campaign, can't seem to find anything else other than he survived the war and returned to the college, the college is no longer there, but my shop is built on the site!

any help would be appreciated

thanks

Russ

The only Hook that I can find so far is A J Hook, Chaplain to the Forces (4th Class). His file is at Kew in WO 374/34513. He may or may not be the same A J Hook that served at some point with the British Red Cross as a driver in 4 MAC.

Phil

Hi CGM, yes that's the date i have of his death, it seems that by your previous post he held the rank of captain in 1909, in the 1911 welsh census it lists him only as a priest/head teacher at the college, no mention of his rank,do you think that thats his rank as a reservist?

thanks

Russ

The only Hook that I can find so far is A J Hook, Chaplain to the Forces (4th Class). His file is at Kew in WO 374/34513. He may or may not be the same A J Hook that served at some point with the British Red Cross as a driver in 4 MAC.

Phil

Hi Phil

thanks for the reply, will check it out

Russ

I'm afraid I know nothing about how the role of Army Chaplains worked out, Russ.

I know a couple of folks on here do, so hopefully they will be along soon to explain!

Russ,

If you go back a page from CGM's entry, he is Chaplains Department, Territorial Force. That would be consistent with 5th (Flintshire) Battalion RWF.

It's just the small matter of finding a MIC for him to confirm the Gallipoli part.

Phil

I think the place was a Junior Seminary, dating back to the early years of the twentieth century. Therefore your man was almost certainly a diocesan priest (not sure which diocese at that time - Minevia, perhaps?); anyhow, establish the diocese and then check with their records set up (or check a Catholic year book). They might have some records on him.

I do know that the current Bp to the Forces (RC) has been encouraging the gathering of information on clergy who have served as RC chaplains, so that might be another point of reference as well.

I can't find a MIC for him and it is likely that there isn't one. As Chaplains were officers and had to claim any medals, many for reasons of there own faith etc declined to do so.

He appears to have been a scholar and was a member of the Flintshire Historical Society throughout this period. The Society is still in existence and may have some biographical detail of him.

Phil

Paul Hook was ordained in 1897. Father Hook went to Gallipoli with the 5th Battalion RWF and was padre to the battalion for a year. He trained with that battalion at Higham Ferrars, Northamptonshire and sailed with the battalion on the SS Caledonia to Gallipoli, via Malta, Alexandria and Lemnos. Father Hook was wounded at Gallipoli and was invalided out of the army - August 1916. He continued to serve the church in various posts in Wales but in 1930 he suffered a severe stroke, from which he never really recovered and he died on the 8th March, 1933, aged 61. I believe he is buried at a cemetery in Bristol.

The Army Chaplains' Museum may be able to help.

Maricourt

Paul Hook was ordained in 1897. Father Hook went to Gallipoli with the 5th Battalion RWF and was padre to the battalion for a year. He trained with that battalion at Higham Ferrars, Northamptonshire and sailed with the battalion on the SS Caledonia to Gallipoli, via Malta, Alexandria and Lemnos. Father Hook was wounded at Gallipoli and was invalided out of the army - August 1916. He continued to serve the church in various posts in Wales but in 1930 he suffered a severe stroke, from which he never really recovered and he died on the 8th March, 1933, aged 61. I believe he is buried at a cemetery in Bristol.

The Army Chaplains' Museum may be able to help.

Maricourt

thanks maricourt

with him being injured at gallipoli, i take it was mentioned in the war diary of the 5th?

thanks again for your input

Russ

I can't find a MIC for him and it is likely that there isn't one. As Chaplains were officers and had to claim any medals, many for reasons of there own faith etc declined to do so.

He appears to have been a scholar and was a member of the Flintshire Historical Society throughout this period. The Society is still in existence and may have some biographical detail of him.

Phil

thanks for your help Phil

I think the place was a Junior Seminary, dating back to the early years of the twentieth century. Therefore your man was almost certainly a diocesan priest (not sure which diocese at that time - Minevia, perhaps?); anyhow, establish the diocese and then check with their records set up (or check a Catholic year book). They might have some records on him.

I do know that the current Bp to the Forces (RC) has been encouraging the gathering of information on clergy who have served as RC chaplains, so that might be another point of reference as well.

thanks nigel for the info, will check it out,

cheers

Russ

• 1 month later...

Hello Russ

I have just looked through the 5/RWF Bn diary for August - December 1915 and there is no mention of Father Hook. However, 5/RWF & 6/RWF temporarily merged together shortly after the Suvla landings as the losses in both battalions were particularly high. 5/RWF lost their CO - Lt Col Basil Philips and his replacement, Major Bernard Head, in the space of two days, so things were somewhat confused.

Regards ... Maricourt