The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Notts & Derbys then transfer to North Staffordshire's.

Chris

Hi

Wonder if anyone could answer a couple of questions about Herbert Buffham, who if his MIC is in the correct order was Pte. 48601 of the Sherwood Foresters, then 16289 of the Labour Corps and then finally Pte. 44188 of the North Staffordshire's.

Firstly can anyone of the Notts and Derby experts tell me roughly when he joined the Regiment, which i am expecting to be the latter half of the war, and possibly his transfer date to the North Staffs.

Much appreciated

Chris

Looks like he was in 20th (Labour) Battalion Sherwood Foresters which was formed at Derby in May 1916. It was moved to Labour Corps in April 1917 as 28th and 29th Labour Companies.

The nearest man I can find is 48586 who joined up 31/5/1916.

Steve M

Steve

Many thanks. More info than i hoped for. Appreciated

Chris

• 3 years later...

A follow up, if I may. I have a chap who was a pre-war regular, 10168 Richard Shreeve, 2/Notts & Derby, who went via the 1/Notts & Derby, to become 39627 with the 7/North Staffs. Unless they have somehow been missed, there are no service papers, but on the relevant BWM and BVM medal page (the only one I have access to), he is listed consecutively with others from 39620 to 39627, all but one of them having transferred to the 7.North Staffs from one or other Notts & Derby battalion.

I cannot help but think this group of transfer was somehow connected to events at Gallipoli - but does anyone know for sure whether during or after? Or no connection at all?

Trajan

Trajan

William Rodgers, service number 26332, enlisted with 16th Sherwoods in May 1915 and was first posted to France in March 1916 (with the rest of his Battalion). He was shipped home in November 1916 after several bouts of illness and then posted to 7th North Staffords in April 1917 with service number 39623, and joining that Battalion soon after disembarking at Basra in May 1917. His service records are on Ancestry.

As Rodgers' North Staffords service number is so close to Richard Shreeve's number, it is hopefully a good indication of the date that Shreeve joined the 7th North Staffords.

C

... William Rodgers ... [was] posted to 7th North Staffords in April 1917 with service number 39623, and joining that Battalion soon after disembarking at Basra in May 1917. ... As Rodgers' North Staffords service number is so close to Richard Shreeve's number, it is hopefully a good indication of the date that Shreeve joined the 7th North Staffords.

That is good to know! And yes, that number fits in neatly with Shreeve, So, perhaps / possibly / probably a block transfer after Gallipoli.

Julian