Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

La Boiselle

Guest nemento

Hi everyone,

I'm having difficulty finding any good photos of La Boiselle, everytime I type it into a search engine it only brings up the Lochnager crater.

Ideally I'm looking for photos of La Boiselle taken during the Somme offensive and after it's capture. It's just proving difficult to find the right information/photos.

If anyone knows of any good books that deal with La Boiselle and it's initial capture or any photos or other websites that would be of use then it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Hello Nemento, I was wondering why you are looking for these photos? I only ask because I have helped out a person once on photos of La Boisselle who then used the photos on a paid web site without permission. I am not against sharing but his request and eventual use did not match. Sorry about being so paranoid.

Ralph

Thanks for those Glynn.

Ralph,

I'm entering the second year of my A-Levels after summer and part of the history coursework can be done on a period of history of the student's choice, I've chosen to do the Somme and instead of doing a general overview of the battle I want to focus more on the individual battle's for villages and towns that made up the whole offensive. The reason I want photos is so I can get a rough idea of how the villages of the Western front were attacked, getting an idea of what they look like just makes it easier to write about how they were captured, rather than writing blindly so to speak.

If you know of any good books on places like Ovillers, La Boiselle etc then that would be fine.

:)

Remember that 'La Boiselle' is actually spelt La Boisselle which is why you might not be able to find it on Google etc.

There is a book on this part of the battlefield in the 'Battleground Europe' series by Michael Stedman, and is highly recommended.

Book called 'Manchester Scottish' which covers the service of the 15th Battalion Royal Scots, who fought near La Boisselle on the 1st July 1916. A very interesting book, priced I think at about £5.75.

Roger can be contacted at localmilhistory@aol.com

Roger J. Dowson

No. 1 "Pinfold Cottage"

High Street

Nawton

York

YO62 7TS

It is a strange coincidence indeed that on the day that I first register on this Board, the first topic is about La Boisselle.

My great grandfather was a member of The Tyneside Scottish who took part in the attack on the 1st July, sadly like many others, he was killed that day.

However, and in answer to your query, may I recommend the books by John Sheen on both The Tyneside Scottish & Tyneside Irish batalions of the Northumberland Fusiliers, published by Pen & Sword Books / Leo Cooper. Both have a fair collection of pictures of the battle around La Boisselle.

The Tyneside Scottish book is certainly available on Amazon.

Not a pictyure of La Boisselle itself but I think it is interesting in the comparison made between then and now. The book the page is taken from is "The Western Front, Then and Now" published by Newnes in 1938

Regards

Jim Gordon

Not a picture of La Boisselle itself but I think it is interesting in the comparison made between then and now. The book the page is taken from is "The Western Front, Then and Now" published by Newnes in 1938

Regards

Jim Gordon

Sorry first attempt abyssmal failure !

post-4-1094491882.jpg

Nemento.

In another thread I have just referred someone to 'General Jack's Diary' edited by John Terraine.

James Jack was a Company Commander in the 2/Cameronians on the Somme and on 1 July attacked in the La Boisselle area.There are several relevant pictures in this book including one of the mine crater.

Good luck.

Neil

Here is a shot taken by the defenders of La Boisselle. The 120th RIR held the village until March 1915 and then a series of regiments including the 110th RIR held it until the attack on 1 July. I am using this and others in a current book project.

Ralph

post-4-1094500270.jpg