Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

a Canadian DCM group

N.S.Regt.

I had this group for a couple of years and is one of 27 DCMs given to the 25th. I have been collecting medals to the 25th for 20 plus years and was able to pick up four of these groups. George Hulme was born in Cheschire England on Jan.16 1891. Before the war he was a machinest and spent 1 year in the Terrorials in England. He joined the 25th Battalion on Nov. 25 1914 serial no. 67864 as a Pte. He was with the battalion when they were sent to France on Sept 15 1915. He was promoted on the following dates L-Cpl. Oct. 3 1915, Cpl. Dec 5 1915, L-Sgt. Apr. 16 1916, A-Sgt. June 4 1916 and Sgt. June 24 1916.

Sgt. Hulme was with the 25th at Courcellette where on the 16th of Sept. 1916 he was wounded by shrapnel in the left leg. It was also on this day he was recomended for the DCM for his actions that day his citation follows. It was the second DCM for the Battalion.

L.G. 11/14/16 For conspicuous gallantry in action. He rushed by himself seven of the enemy, killing one of them and capturing the officer in charge and the remaining five men. Later, although severely wounded he remained at his post. He displayed great courage and determination throughout.

Sgt. Hulme while recovering from his wounds was sent to the 26th reserve battalion. While there he was promoted A.C.Q.M.Sgt. on June 14 1917 and given permission to marry on Mar. 3 1918. On Mar. 28 1918 he reverted to Sgt. and proceeded to France to rejoin the 25th Battalion. He was wounded again on Aug. 8 1918 at Amiens being shot in the left hip. This was the end of the war for him after treatment in England and Canada he was discharged as medically unfit on Feb 10 1919. Both George Hulme and his wife made the Vimy Pilgrimage for the unveiling of the Vimy Memorial in 1936. George Hulme passed away July 9 1960.

post-23-1093791370.jpg

N.S.Regt.,

Beautiful group! I am envious; Although I have been able to find a few CEF MM groups, I have yet to get a DCM group, and with prices being as they are, I may never get one!

Cheers,

Terry

Terry

I know what you mean by the prices All four of my 25th DCMs came to me within a couple of years and I had to rethink my budget. The last one was a DCM-MM group it offered to me before it when to someone else along with a MC to the 85th so I bought them both. I had to do some serious finanical planning. Still looking for a MC to the 25th but although I tracked about 4 of them down none were for sale.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Superb group, to a man who won this medal within sight of where I am sitting in Courcelette now. Thanks for sharing it with us; after I read it earlier, I went out in the garden and looked out to where the 25th Bn were and thought of your man. He was remembered here today!

David

Thanks for the comments, I like to think it is in a good home

Paul

Thanks for the kind words and sediments I would like to see some of the places where these brave men fought and fell someday. The 25th had the task of liberating the main street in Courcelette on the 15th and they and the 5th Canadian Brigade suffered 1324 casualtys between Sept 15 and 17 1916. Courcelette is one of the stops I will have to make if I ever get over.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Lovely set, Stephen, it is in good hands. Thanks for posting it. :)

Chris

Thanks as long as I have it it will be looked after. A friend of mine and myself have been toying with the idea of puting together a small military museum we have been talking about it for a couple of years. Maybe someday it will come about. We have been talking about a number of ideas nothing has panned out just the other night it was brought up again so the idea is still alive.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Superb group, I'm not at all jealous. :ph34r:

Derek

Thanks but I see you have in your you have a couple of CEF men in your signature. Most of my groups to original 25th men had been born there in the U.K. But on the other hand My great grandmother had five brothers who were killed in the British Army. I have been trying to find out who they are but it is almost hopeless. When I checked the last name Evans there were almost 3000 of them. Since my Great Grandmother Passed away in 1986 I do not have much to go on the names were not recorded by the family.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

If you had any "official" documentation for your Great-grandmother e.g birth, marriage or death certificate it should be relatively easy from there to trace her family on-line. (and if she was lucky enough to have been born a Scot then she'd be doubly blessed as we have the best online family research database in the world - Scots geneology)

Let me know if you have any documentation and we'll see if we can make some progress.