Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery Shoulder Title

Barry Q

A friend of mine found a collection of Canadian badges and buttons over the weekend. However, The letters "DAP" on the shoulder titles have me a little foxed . Any ideas? The shoulder title is a three line affair. The top line is the number 1. The second line contains the letters "DAP". The third line is the word "Canada" in a curve. Does anyone have any idea?

post-23-1093789573.jpg

I found the following mention of the same initials in a letter from a soldier in the medical corps writing to his family and the following item comes to mind: Divisional Aid Post.

I am no expert on Canadian items but this is my best guess.

Ralph

Here is the letter detail: Cpl. Charley Piersie, 110th DAP, Gr. Mouthairon, France, 5 Dec 1918, to Brother, Sis & Niece, Aaron C. Piersie, Kirksville, MO

Barry

I believe it to be the title for the 1st Divisional Ammunition Park C.A.S.C. I have not seen this title before however.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Barry,

I immediately thought Div Ammunition Park, but was unable to find an example in the Charlton catalogue of CEF Corps badges.

Hello All, The idenfication as 1 Division Ammunition Park Canadian Corps is likely correct. The RCASC history, Wait for the Waggon describes the organization of the service corps during WW1. Each division had a train and a park. The train was the supply "column" and the park was responsible for the ammunition for the division's artillery.

Barry, would it be possible to list or image the other badges found with this title? If there were CASC badges, it would support the identification.

A note in reference to the Charlton badge reference book. Like all catalogues it has omissions and errors. It is a good guideline, but doesn't include all the CEF badges, and does include a few that may be post war militia.

Further information. In Love's A CALL TO ARMS, the organization of the ammunition sub-parks are described. The original structure, prior to July 1915, had each division with a Division Ammunition Park. After July 1915, the Corps Ammunition Park was formed and the Division Ammunition Parks were re-named 1 Division Ammunition Sub-Park, 2 Division Ammunition Sub-Park etc. (The other sub-parks would be added as the next Canadian divisions were sent to theatre.) The war establishment of the divisional sub-parks was 238 all ranks and 83 lorries. There were also some attached CFA personnel. In 1918, the ammunition sub-parks were absorbed upon re-organization. They became 1st Division MT Coy, 2nd Div MT Coy, etc. These were all CASC units.

Returning to the title in question, it would appear that it matches the earliest designation, prior to the July 1915 re-organization. The shoulder title may have been worn after the unit became a sub-park but it is unlikely. There exists a metal shoulder title DASP, which may have been the title worn generically by all sub-parks. Of great interest, the Imperial War Museum holds a collection of Canadian Corps formation signs which include divisional patches (red, blue, gray, green) with a shell shape sewn on the patch to represent the sub-parks. The 1 DAP CANADA would have fulfilled the same identification purpose before the issue of formation patches started. In the Canadian Corps case, the cloth formation patches were employed starting mid 1916.

Having said all this, it would appear that the metal title that is illustrated is a scarce item.

Thanks for everyones help so far. It looks like Divisional Ammunition Park could be the identity of the shoulder title in question. However, a number of you have asked for information on anything that was found with the shoulder title. Firstly, a little background.

My friends hobby is digging up old dumps. He's found heaps of interesting items and hardly a week goes past when he doesn't bring samples of his finds into the pub. Yup, I only see him once a week in the boozer! He knows that I have an interest in militaria, so on the sunday he opens a plastic bag and empties the contents onto the bar.

The bag contained:

1 pair of "1 DAP Canada" shoulder titles, complete with backing plates and pins.

3 pressed brass "Canada" shoulder titles.

1 large cap badge (possibly for a Pagri). It was maple leaf in shape. It had a Queen Victoria crown in the centre and under it was the word "Canada".

2 smaller cap badges. Both were maple leaf shaped and had the kings crown. One badge had the crown and the word "Canada" underneath, but the other had the crown, then the number "8" and then the word "Canada" underneath.

There were a number of buttons. Some of them were General Service buttons, but the ones of interest were Canada specific. There were three large tunic front buttons, and two middle sized pocket (or epaulette) buttons. Here's the bad bit. Since they were encrusted with crap, we couldn't read what was written on them (beer goggles didn't help either). However, they had a maple leaf in the centre. There were then two concentric circles around the maple leaf. Within these two circles was some writing (which we couldn't read). Outside of these circles was the word "Canada". I did not see any makers marks on the backs of the buttons.

My friend is going back to the site where these items came from to see if he can find any more. He's also going to clean up the buttons to see what is written on them. Fingers crossed, I should know more next sunday.

Hi

fantastic find! Are you and the dump, in Canada or in Europe?

Tony

Hi

fantastic find! Are you and the dump, in Canada or in Europe?

Tony

Me and the dump are in sunny Devon, down in the bottom left hand corner of the UK. This location makes this find even more interesting. Just what are a collection of Canadian badges doing here?

Barry

Sounds like your buttons are Canadian General List they are as you describe and contain the motto "HONI SOIT QUI MALY PENSE" they should have Canada above the crown. I have made a scan sorry about the quality but you should get a general idea what one looks like.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

post-23-1094055721.jpg