The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2Lt Henry Mercer - RAF POW 1918

JOSTURM

Does anyone have any information on his attachment to the RFC/RAF from the East Lancs Regt to which he was commisioned in July 1917 ?

Thanks

Peter

There are three Henry Mercer's in AIR76,

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Result/?discoveryCustomSearch=true&_t1=Henry&_t2=Mercer&_sd=&_ed=&_ser=AIR+76&_col=online&_sf=DRETITLE&_sf=DESCRIPTION&image1.x=0&image1.y=0

I have checked WO338 and it lists two Henry Mercer's, neither of them were down as serving with the RFC. I also checked WO339 and they are

Cheers

John - G

There are three Henry Mercer's in AIR76,

http://discovery.nat....x=0&image1.y=0

I have checked WO338 and it lists two Henry Mercer's, neither of them were down as serving with the RFC. I also checked WO339 and they are

Cheers

John - G

John,

Of the three AIR 76 chaps, only one (birthdate 13 January 1894) has an age that is likely for RAF service as an officer in a combat setting.

The other two were born in 1871 and 1872--a bit long in the tooth for an RAF combat assignment, I suggest. Also, the 1894 is

specifically listed as "Henry - Mercer" whilst the others have two forenames (Henry Frederick & William Henry).

Trelawney

Try this one on FE2bs, the machine may have seen earlier service with 51 HDS

A5610 58 Sqn and wrecked hitting tree in forced landing near Pitgem after engine failed on night bombing sortie to Menin 15.3.18 (2Lt HW Gardner/2Lt a Brock OK). 1 ASD to 2 ASD 4.18. 102 Sqn by 2.6.18 and LIA on night recce 16.9.18 (Lt CB Naylor/Lt H Mercer POW – a/c had 198hr 20min flying time, 160-hp Beardmore 154/WD9602 ).

• 1 month later...

I am also interested in details on 2nd Lt Henry Mercer as I have a BWM medal to one of the men, I know of the East Lancs officer but was unaware of him joinig thr RAF, I also have a mic to a Inniskilling Fusilier.These both have a single initial. I have yet to check medal rolls as Inniskilling officer also has Lieutenant on his MIC

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I have VM to 2.LIEUT.HENRY MERCER - this is the only man of this rank with single first name of Henry.

This medal is to the MIC for 2Lt Henry Mercer 1/5th East Lancs ex Pte 4892 9th HLI.

If your BWM is inscribed to the same as above, I would really like it to go with my medal.

Mercer was taken POW on 16th September 1918 after crashing with 102 Squadron on night bombing patrol.

I am looking for more specific details of his crash and capture from any Pals who have access to the 102 Squadron combat and casualty reports ?

Many thanks

Peter

Mick - very interesting information thanks on A5610.

On Mercer's service record, it says that he was prisoner at a place that seems to be spelt - STANSTIGALL - does anyone recognise this word in relation to either an enemy POW camp or somewhere else ? I may have the spelling wrong.

Thanks

Peter

Next to the word Stanstigall is a date of 22.11.18 which is presumably the date he was released. He is then repatriated at LEITH.

Can anyone explain how and why he would have been repatriated at Leith. Would he have embarked by ship from Germany for Scotland after his release ?