Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with cap badge identification PLEASE

celiatoo

Can anyone help me with this cap badge please. the photo has been located in the family but we have no idea who it is of. We thought the best start would be to identify the regiment. The photo was taken in Shropshire but the man might have come from Birkenhead in Cheshire. Any help would be appreiciated

I think it might be King Edwards Horse (first as opposed to second). Can you post the rest of the photo so as to improve overall context.

post-599-0-44837900-1356196673_thumb.jpg

I have managed to wipe the original photo from my puter while making the cloe up but i'll have another go at scanning it. However I think the King Edwards Horse is probably the nearest one can anyone tell me anything about that regiment - it's a new one to me.

I'm not sure about King Edwards Horse. In the image, the crown seems to be clearly raised above the main body of the badge where as the attached KEH badge the crown seems incorporated into the main body. Also, there appears to be a motto scroll at the bottom.

I'm with Bigjohn, looks like RA to me.

well thanks - a hrse regiment doesn't sound right for the guy in question being bought up in Birkenhead but he was an animal lover and had a small holding with lots of animals on it and later on a pet shop ! However, the RA seems more appropriate so thanks and the Seaon's Greetings to you all and thanks for the help.

Celia

Definitely RA, either RFA, RGA, etc - just a well curved badge, bent to fit the shape of the hat better.

well thanks - a hrse regiment doesn't sound right for the guy in question being bought up in Birkenhead

Celia

Oddly, enlistment to cavarly units was probably commoner with city-dwellers than with countrymen. Countrymen knew what a fag it was to look after horses!

Not that I think the badge is Kings Edwards Horse but there was a sqadron of that regiment based in Liverpool in 1914,their headquarters where I think in the city centre near School Lane.

P.B.

Just for the novice. Can someone say whether what appears to be a frame below the crown is an illusion or part of a Royal Artillery badge other than the common form.

Thanks.

Just for the novice. Can someone say whether what appears to be a frame below the crown is an illusion or part of a Royal Artillery badge other than the common form.

Thanks.

I think that it is just an illusion and infact it is an R.A. badge which has been bent somewhat to suit his rather 'relaxed' style cap.

I think that due to the low definition of the photo, the upper scroll above the wheel appears to blend into top of the wheel, which makes the top look considerably thicker then you think it should and not a wheel.

I've experimented with an old brass RA capbadge I had for my No.2 Headdress and bent it around as shown in the photo, and although the photo has distorted it a bit for our viewing, it is the same badge (heaven help them when the Battery Sergeant Major caught up with them!!! :huh: )

Cheers Jim

Can you blow up all the hat badges and post them? Could it be RHA? I don't think they are wide enough for RFA/RA and don't see a lion atop the crown.

Generally speaking I believe, but they also had this one. I think we need a closer look at the other two badges:

post-1563-0-05300500-1356261261_thumb.jp

Whilst I see where you're coming from Blackblue, in the photo the bottom motto scroll is higher in the centre whereas on the RHA badge, the scroll is lower in the centre (RA is a W as opposed to the RHA U shape if you will).

My apologies for the delay in replying but I have been busy today with the Christmas cooking ! However I will endeavour to scan the other 2 badges tommorrow - thanks for your interest.

Celia

Generally speaking I believe, but they also had this one. I think we need a closer look at the other two badges:

The RHA did not have their own cap badge until after WW2 BB, and even then only for the beret, which is what stimulated the adoption of that insignia. In WW1, all branches of the RA (RFA, RHA, RGA) wore the standard, 'field gun' cap badge.

The RHA did not have their own cap badge until after WW2 BB, and even then only for the beret, which is what stimulated the adoption of that insignia. In WW1, all branches of the RA (RFA, RHA, RGA) wore the standard, 'field gun' cap badge.

I didn't think they issued GV versions post WW2? Not in widespread use as I said and 'believed' to be worn on certain types of headdress under 'regimental arrangements' according to Gaylor. I may be wrong, but don't think the badges are RA and can't find anything else that is a match. The larger badge posted also looks different to the other two.