Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

27 August 1914

Anthony Pigott

S.-D. concludes his account of Le Cateau:

"I reached Noyon at about an hour after midnight on 27th August and had some difficulty in finding the house where G.H.Q. was established. All had retired to rest, but gradually some of the staff appeared and then the Chief himself, clad in his robe de nuit. There was a convenient billiard-table in the room with a white cover, and spreading a map thereon I explained briefly the events of the day. Sir John appeared relieved, though he told me he considered I took much too cheerful a view of the situation, and he again took exception to my optimism two days later. I then, having got permission from the Quartermaster-General, Sir William Robertson, to use any trains the Director of Railways could spare, hastened back to St. Quentin railway station, getting there as dawn was breaking. MacInnes placed at my disposal seven trains. I then took up my quarters at the Mairie with my Staff, transacted some business and watched all the weary troops march through St. Quentin, turning off those who could march no farther to the railway station. Thus ended the first and principal phase of the retreat. I might be expected to discuss whether the Battle of Le Cateau was worth the candle—with its heavy losses. The latter were :

Cavalry 15

3rd Division 1,796

5th Division 2,366

4th Division 3,158

19th Infantry Brigade 477

Total 7,812 and 38 guns

Of the above 2,600 were taken prisoners, but, whatever the losses, and whatever the results, I think I have shown that, without risking a debacle and jeopardising the safety of the 4th Division and the I Corps, I had no alternative but to stand and fight. I claim no credit, but on the contrary realise to the full that fortune was on my side, firstly in having such an efficient force so skilfully and devotedly handled and led, and composed of troops so well disciplined and courageous as to be second to none in the world; and secondly in having an enemy who did not rise to the occasion. It may be inferred from the C.-in-C.'s dispatch of the 7th September 1914 that he considered it well worth the candle. He mentioned me in most generous terms in his dispatches. In that of 7th September 1914, he writes of Le Cateau : " I cannot close this brief account of this glorious stand of the British troops, without putting on record my deep appreciation of the valuable services rendered by General Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien. I say without hesitation that the saving of the left wing of the army under my command on the morning of the 26th August could never have been accomplished unless a commander of rare and unusual coolness, intrepidity, and determination had been present to personally conduct the operation." And later in the same dispatch : " It is impossible for me to speak too highly of the skill evinced by the two Generals commanding Army Corps." In his dispatch of the 8th October, on the Battle of the Aisne, he says: " I further wish to bring forward the names of the following officers who have rendered valuable services. General Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien and Lieutenant-General Sir Douglas Haig I have already mentioned in the present and former dispatches for particularly marked and distinguished service in critical situations—since the commencement of the campaign, they have carried out all my orders and instructions with the utmost ability." "