Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Harold Ward, Wiltshire Yeomanry

bts1970

Evening all

2 cropped images for my man Ward. Why the different cap badges? The smaller one I know is Wilts Yeomanry but unsure of the second one, any help appreciated

Bob

post-21863-0-08445600-1356036043.jpeg

post-21863-0-83955000-1356036057_thumb.j

Possibly a Staff Officer ? Can we please see his image in the second photo that my help to confirm it.

Philip

Hi Bob,

I agree with Philip the second badge is that of a Staff Officer.

According to the Army List(Dec.1915)he had previous war service probably with the Imp.Yeomanry, he is recorded as being a Hon Capt in the Army 11 Oct 1902. He must have left the army subsequently and re-enlisted as 2/Lt in the Wilts Yeo 25 April, 1911.

In the Dec.1915 A.L. he is also shown under Staff Captains: Ward, 2nd Lt(Hon Capt in Army) H.R., R.Wilts.Yeo., 8 Mar 15.

In the Oct.1917 A.L. he is shown under the Wilts Yeo: (1) Ward, Lt(Hon Capt in Army 11 Oct 02) H.R., 11 Jan 15.

In the Feb.1919 A.L. he is shown under the Wilts Yeo: Ward, H.R., ( ditto ditto ) Lc, 1 June 16, and also under the Labour Corps as a Capt: Ward, H.R., R.Wilts.Yeo. 10 Nov 17.

Robert

The larger picture shows a staff officers cap badge, as mentioned by Phillip. At that time junior officers appointed to the staff wore both the staff cap badge and staff gorgets, in differing colours according to 'branch'.

The enclosed image is contemporary but serves to show the shape of the badge. As a staff captain (his appointment) he is also wearing a scarlet band around his SD forage cap.

post-599-0-54295800-1356040692_thumb.jpg

Full image from the smaller pic i posted. Ethel Richardson recorded in her book the story of Purton that captain Ward was Adjutant to the Wilts Yeomanry at the time of wrighting that particular book.

What i have so far is listed below, many thanks for your help;

Address / Next Of Kin, family details: Red Lodge. Wife, Miss Grice-Hutchinson (Married 1913).

MIC details / Medal entitlement.

Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry (Lieut).

Labour Corps (Capt).

British War Medal, Victory Medal, 15 Star (Wilts Yeomanry), Mentioned in Despatches.

Applied for his medals 12/04/1923. Address given as 21 Catherine Street, Westminster, SW1.

Extracts from: London Gazette, Telegrammes.

04/08/1914 Telegram sent from Chippenham at 7:19 “Lieutenant Ward, Red Lodge, Braydon. Order received for Regiment to mobilize. Report to Squadron headquarters tomorrow morning early”. Telegram sent from Swindon at 9:48 “Mobilization ordered. You join Squadron immediately with kit and saddlery complete without horse” OC D Squadron.

05/08/1914 Telegram sent from Cirencester at 2:11 “Lieut Ward Wilts Yeomanry. Head quarters Salisbury sending Joey and coffee by road today Ward”

31/03/1915 Attended the 1st South Western Mounted Brigade Galloping Reconnaissance from East Park to Outwood windmill. Harold entered the lightweight galloping reconnaissance event for the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry riding Joey (Result unknown).

03/12/1915 Arrived at Le Havre, France (Detail from MIC) with D Sqn and the Regimental HQ. The Wiltshire Yeomanry Squadrons had been split up, D Sqn and the RHQ were part of the 38th (Welsh) Division.

15/05/1917 Mentioned in Despatches (Lt Wilts Yeomanry).

26/09/1917 The RWY is merged with the decimated ranks of the 6th Battalion Wiltshire Regiment. Harold Ward is not listed with the Officers who joined.

Evidence for inclusion on the Purton Parish list: Name listed in the Memorial book in St Mary’s Church, 1918 voters list for Purton Parish (a NM), Red Lodge, Braydon.

post-21863-0-30969000-1356088063_thumb.j

Looks like he is wearing red collar tabs in the first photo as well = Staff Captain. Rgds Tim D

He appears in a group photograph of the officers of the RWY dated 1915. I will scan and post when I get home after the weekend.

Dave

All

Many thanks for your thoughts, unfortunately no other details were recorded on the reverse of the photos. The items were all given to the Museum in Purton by the family at some point. Other items include a cape and his sword as well as smaller items & saddle bags.

Best regards

Bob