Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

598th Company ASC

ForeignGong

Hi all

I am researching the only recipients of the Greek "Medal of the Order of King George I, 1st & 2nd Class" awarded for WW1. There were 3 X 1st Cl & 13 X 2nd Cl & as far as I can see they all came from the 598th Co, ASC. I have it on very good authority that they were awarded for service in connection with the fire at Salonica in 1917 & yet they were not gazetted until Jan 1920.

How do I get a copy or see a copy of the War Diary for the said unit, please? Remembering that I live in sunny Oz.

Hope some one can help.

Peter

I have it on very good authority that they were awarded for service in connection with the fire at Salonica in 1917

That could well be. ASC Co.598 were the Base MT Depot and they attended the fire with their brand new fire engine 'almost at once'. The other British fire engine, also newly arrived a few days earlier, came from the (ASC [?] at the) docks. One driver was on duty from 20.00 hrs Saturday until 06.00 hrs Tuesday without sleep. One fire engine was in action for ten days and the other for eighteen.

Col R H Beadon's history of the RASC, Vol.II, mentions 80,000 homeless and their evacuation along the Monastir road, of which he says British mechanical transport companies bore the largest share.

Col Michael Young's history of the ASC gives Co.598 as having NA file ref. WO95/4948,

though how you get to it is another matter.

Should be an interesting story though, if you can find more details

Good luck

Michael

Hi Michael

Thanks for that, I had a feeling they may have been Fire fighters of some sort, all I need now is to be able to see the war diary if possible.

Peter