Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The meeting of the WW1 veterans association.

Simon Furnell

Evening all.

I noticed an article in the Daily Mail today,that the last meeting of the WW1 Veterans Association was held this week in the presence of The Prince of Wales.

Eight veterans were pictured in the article,including "Smiler" Marshall and Harry Patch,their ages ranging from 102 to 108 years old.

Not among their ranks was Mr Arthur Halestrap,who i remember contributed to The Trench series on BBC tv.

Has Mr Halestrap passed away recently,or was he unable to attend?

The article says that these are the last survivors of the millions of men who served during the first world war.

That they have gotten this far,is a miracle.

May they carry on for many more years.

Regards.

Simon Furnell.

Simon I am not sure what the article said in the DM but the eight veterans that attended were those fit enough to parade. From a similar article I read at the beginning of the week I understand there are 37 known British veterans of WW1 still with us. A couple of months ago another article referred to 35 so perhaps two more have come forward since and gives hope that their is in fact several more still with us. Of course the likelihood is that this number will be sadly reduced by the end of this year. I now have great regret that as a child I didnt have the interest I do now when easy access to veterans of France and Flanders etc would have been possible.

The article was in todays paper.. will keep that..

Plus there was a small report on LOOK EAST tonite ....

Quite poignant.. I dont think any expected to still be here... well in a few years they will say that about WW2...

tempers fugit

:)

John