Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Russia to commemorate its forgotten WWI heroes

Ally Sloper

• 3 weeks later...

According to some notes i took from the book "Russia's First World War A Social and Economic History" by Peter Gaterell that i just located. The Russian goverment in WW I was making plans for a war museum in Moscow near the city's cemetary. However, the communists had no use for it. The site was used as a Cheka (soviet secret police) mass grave site and was later bulldozed for a cinema. These notes may not be 100% acurate

In Greece the Russians have already started to commemorate the First World War. For the past 2 years (last weekend in Sept) the Russian Consul has laid a wreath on the Allied memorial at Polykastro and the Russian memorial in Lembet Road Cemetery, Thessaloniki, in memory of Russian troops that died during the Salonika Campaign. They were officially invited to take part in the ceremony by the organisation that links together former veterans associations in Greece, Serbia, France, Italy and GB. The memorial at Polykastro was build in 1977 and the USSR wanted nothing to do with it. So this recent development has brought the Russians 'in from the cold' so to speak. However, a cock-up over the number of wreaths laid by the Russian last September led to a slight diplomatic incident and the potential of the Russians not being invited next year! As the British representative I am fighting against this seeing that we have just got them onboard!

ALAN

In Greece the Russians have already started to commemorate the First World War. For the past 2 years (last weekend in Sept) the Russian Consul has laid a wreath on the Allied memorial at Polykastro and the Russian memorial in Lembet Road Cemetery, Thessaloniki, in memory of Russian troops that died during the Salonika Campaign. They were officially invited to take part in the ceremony by the organisation that links together former veterans associations in Greece, Serbia, France, Italy and GB. The memorial at Polykastro was build in 1977 and the USSR wanted nothing to do with it. So this recent development has brought the Russians 'in from the cold' so to speak. However, a cock-up over the number of wreaths laid by the Russian last September led to a slight diplomatic incident and the potential of the Russians not being invited next year! As the British representative I am fighting against this seeing that we have just got them onboard!

ALAN

A diplomatic incident over wreath-laying? Criminy. Good luck!

-Daniel

It is good to see the Russians being included Alan.

If the 'incident' is because they laid more wreaths than some other participants it may be worth pointing out that they are just making up for lost time and playing catch up. It is sad if people cannot rise above that sort of thing though!

Neil