Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Accountants and Clerks who Served in WW1

nfh249

I don't know if this has been posted before, but the website of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales (ICAEW) has scanned pages from 'With the colours; a list of Chartered and Incorporated Accountants and their Clerks who are serving with the British Forces on land and sea, 1914-1916' here:

http://www.icaew.com...ith-the-colours

Men are listed by surname and also by accountancy firm. The list includes the names of all those who joined the colours prior to March 1916. Each entry states the name of the individual, their firm and the force they joined. The list is annotated where individuals are known to have been killed or wounded (or are listed as missing). There is also a list of Scottish Accountants.

Cheers,

Neil

• Admin

Thank you for posting Neil,

not only a good resource but interesting to see the units they served in (my lot were cobblers and coal miners so they tended not to go in to units like the HAC and Public Schools Batts!) a sweeping generalisation I know but an insight into the class structure of post-Edwardian Britain.

I recall reading somewhere that in one city a higher percentage of clerks and office workers (who were in the lowest percentage proportion of occupations) joined the Pals Btn as an opportunity for "manly" outdoor living than labourers and other manual occupations.

I imagine that's also why so many on the list seem to have been in TF and Yeomanry units.

Ken

I know the current "Avviva", has listed those that have served in the great war from all the merged associations/company's. Have any other assurance/insurance company's done the same?