Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th Bn Kings Royal Rifle Corps - Feb 1916

andrew.gillsfc

Thanks for the info , Mark. Have you posted your grandfather's telling of the escape along the ditch elsewhere?

Thanks for the info , Mark. Have you posted your grandfather's telling of the escape along the ditch elsewhere?

No

I see that http://www.hut-six.co.uk/GreatWar/KRRC/King'sRoyalRifleCorps.html lists everyone in the KRRC but is there a breakdown by battalion anywhere (in particular the 12th KRRC) ?

Hard copies of SDGW are listed by battalion. Most County Record Offices have sets.

Here's an approx breakdown of KRRC fatalities by battalion. It is approximate due to anomalies from attachments to other battalions, temporary transfers etc., but it gives a good general idea of the fatalities of each battalion.

post-20192-0-80103100-1450392766_thumb.j

Other researchers should note this data is approximate only!

Thanks Mark. I'm really trying to find anyone of the other 29 ORs captured with William Dedman on the 19/02/16 since I can't find his ICRC record and one of his mates would probably have followed the same path to Giessen then Soltau camps. So I'm really after survivors rather than SDGW ie all who were with 12th Battn KRRC. So rather than find a record card for everyone listed on http://www.hut-six.co.uk/GreatWar/KRRC/King%27sRoyalRifleCorps.html I was wondering if there was a quicker way!

Thanks Mark. I'm really trying to find anyone of the other 29 ORs captured with William Dedman on the 19/02/16 since I can't find his ICRC record and one of his mates would probably have followed the same path to Giessen then Soltau camps. So I'm really after survivors rather than SDGW ie all who were with 12th Battn KRRC. So rather than find a record card for everyone listed on http://www.hut-six.co.uk/GreatWar/KRRC/King%27sRoyalRifleCorps.html I was wondering if there was a quicker way!

Geoff's data ONLY concerns the Fallen, [Edit - see 1 below] which is why I assumed that's what you were after. It's basically a better way into the CWGC database. It does NOT list "everyone in the KRRC".

Battalion is listed in the British War and Victory medal roll. You can build a 12/KRRC nominal roll from that. However it will not be quick. Unfortunately good research rarely is quick and generally involves much B, S & T!

EDIT: 1 I'm wrong here! Geoff's webpage that you've linked to is of course his front end onto the NA MIC index! :blush: not his more famous 'Geoff's Search Engine' for the CWGC database. It still isn't "everyone in the KRRC" though: it omits those who enlisted into the 60th, but never went overseas, or were transferred before embarking.

Edited by MBrockway

Peter,

If you're after information on L/Sjt William George DEDMAN, R/570 rather than Lt Pratt, I can add the following ...

Lance-Serjeant William George DEDMAN / DEADMAN, R/570, 'D' Coy, 12/KRRC
Surname spelt 'Deadman' on NA MIC Index

Born: 19 Mar 1895, Dorking, Surrey
Residence: West Horsley, Surrey

22 Jul 1915 - embarked in France as a Lance Corporal
before Feb 1916 - promoted to substantive rank of Corporal, then later to Lance-Serjeant
19 Feb 1916 - captured E of BOESINGHE
15 Apr 1916 - listed as POW at Giessen
05 Nov 1917 - listed as POW at Hameln, formerly at Soltau
23 Jul 1918 - listed as transferred from Hameln to Aachen in The Netherlands for internment

I've listed some other 12/KRRC men who may have been captured on 19 Feb 1916 in your POW topic (12th KRRC - 31 captured north of Ypres). You will probably find it useful to check to see if any of them have service records extant. I do not have Ancestry access at the moment.

HTH

Mark

Thanks again. I have ancestry so let me know if there's anything you'd like me to find for you on there.

Peter

Both Geoffs Search Engine and CWGC let you select the Battalion, not just the Regiment.

Geoffs WAS excellent, but is no longer being updated so there will be variance between CWGC and GSE (but not always in CWGC favour) so you can use both and cross check, especially if you sort the CWGC data into either alphabetical, date, cemetery or whatever split you desire, then download into an Excel sheet.