Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with uniform and buttons

Griffner

Hello folks,

here is a picture of my great-grandfather, Hugh Grant Mackenzie. He served in the Supply & Transport Corps, which became eventually the IASC (Indian Army Service Corps) and then the RIASC. This is a picture of him shortly after he was commissioned Lieutenant (Assistant Commissary) from Staff/Sgt on 27/08/1935. I have his medals, all eight of them, but I was wondering if there is anything more to be gleaned from the photo. The picture would have been taken in Cherat or Nowshera, India, I'm not completely sure.

You can access the full size image on my flickr by clicking on the picture. Are the buttons and the patches common ? If there's nothing more to be discovered, I suppose it'll be simply an interesting piece of history.

8281487025_04ea088d65.jpg

HG Mackenzie par quatrevingtdix, sur Flickr

I don't see any patches. He is wearing Lieutenant pips and 7 x medal ribbons. These commence with the 1914 or 1914/15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal and there also appears to be a General Service Medal followed by what might be Coronation or Long Service medals. He has ASC collars and IASC shoulder titles. Who did her serve with in WW1? His medals should be inscribed with his service numbers etc. What medals do you have? Rgds Tim D

Here is his MIC from WW1: http://search.ancest...rc=&pid=1300065. Shows he served with the RFA, S and T Corps (Supply and Transport??) and IASC. First served 17/11/1914 at Hedjaz according to his entry code. Also awarded the General Service Medal for Iraq and Kurdistan. Rgds Tim D

I think the bottom row of medals are thus - which you can probably confirm from the full size:

Indian General Service Medal 1908-35

1935 Silver Jubilee Medal

Army Long Service and Good Conduct Medal

A great picture of your relative in his uniform with Wolseley helmet and sword. I have a WWII RIASC tunic in my collection, named to a Major.

Thanks ! He was appointed hon. major in the home guard during ww2.

HIs eight medals are

-1914/1915 star

-India General Service Medal (1909) with clasp : North West Frontier 1930–31

-British War Medal

-Victory Medal

-General Service Medal with clasps Iraq and Kurdistan

-King George VI Coronation Medal

-Long Service and Good conduct medal (with gratuity, his records say)

I'm guessing the George VI medal is the one he doesn't have on the picture, as it dates from 1937, so 2 years after the picture was taken.

I have lots of documents pertaining to his service, including his indian army file obtained from the India Office at the British Library (about 100 pages, fascinating, with lots of detail).

A few other questions :

Would this formal dress include a pistol ? I don't see one on the picture, or perhaps it is hidden.

What are the kind of square leather patches on his boots ? Do they serve a purpose for riding, maybe ?

I assume the landscape would not help to pinpoint the location of the picture more accurately, from the vegetation ?

PS : Here (lower part of the page) is another interesting image, detailing the items he was handed in 1914, while he was still in the Royal Horse Artillery. Standard loadout, I reckon.

A few other questions :

Would this formal dress include a pistol ?

What are the kind of square leather patches on his boots ? Do they serve a purpose for riding, maybe ?

No.

I think you re referring to his spurs, and the attachments for the spurs? As is well known, British officers can neither stand nor walk properly without the aid of spurs.

Service dress could be worn 'on campaign' at this time. If it was the officer would have attached a pistol case (holster) and ammunition pouch to his Sam Browne and would be less likely to carry a sword. As Wexflyer points out the square leather patches seen in front of his field boots are part of the system of attachment of his spurs. By the 1930s however the Indian Army was moving towards a less formal dress of shirt and shorts for campaigning. This is a formal photograph however so it looks as if he is wearing his 'good' service dress. Soldiers in India were generally very smart because of the existence of cheap tailors and cheap domestic help which allowed them to change frequently. I think it was John Masters commented in one of his books that the Adjutant (CO's Staff officer) changed his starched shorts numerous times every day to ensure he looked smart. Your grandfather would also probably have had a full dress 'coloured' uniform for the most formal occasions and a 'mess' dress for dining.

The background of the picture appears real (rather than a photographers prop) and he appears to be standing on a carpet. He was probably photographed in a garden. This could confuse things because it could be watered, but on the face of it it does not look like an arid area nor does it look like a fully tropical area. Does the photograph have the name of the photographer on the back? This may give you some kind of clue about where it was taken.

Greg

The patches are commonly known as "butterflies" from their shape, and help protect the boots and laces when the spurs are being worn:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW1-Australian-Nickel-light-horse-spurs-complete-/290832283551?pt=AU_Militaria&hash=item43b6f4779f

That is outstanding and very interesting! Thank you!I will try and locate the original picture in my things as I usually just use the scanned image.