Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

M2 french gasmask.

CROONAERT

As I don't want to start messing about with a historical item before I know, can anyone tell me if the eyepieces on a M2 gasmask are removable?

The reason I ask is that the eyepieces on the M2 in my possession are both badly damaged and I have a few spare ARS17 eyepieces. They look pretty similar, so I was wondering if they were interchangable. ARS eyepieces are removable. Are M2's? If so, how do I do it without causing any damage?

Thanks,

Dave.

... the damaged eyepieces, along with a ARS "spare"...

post-23-1093731257.jpg

Dave,

Yes the M2 eye pieces are removable. The cloth carrier has a pocket for spare lenses and they look about identical to an ARS lense.

However, I've never actually removed the lenses and put in a spare.

Joe Sweeney

Thanks for the reply, Joe.

Now I know it's possible, I'll have to take a good look at the mask, work out how it's done, and build up enough courage to actually do it!

Cheers,

Dave. :D

Don't do it!

you can brake you m2 easy...

As i noticed your M2 eyepieces are brown, it is a Belgian one or a post war one...

They used them untill the late 1920's.

Even WW1 dated and produced!

Don't do it!

As i noticed your M2 eyepieces are brown, it is a Belgian one or a post war one...

They used them untill the late 1920's.

Even WW1 dated and produced!

Kristof.

I've got to do it! The broken lenses really bug me! :unsure:

It's dated january 1918, and the ARS lenses are also 1918, so I don't think it's "messing with history" too much.Don't worry, this one's not all that fragile, and I'll be carefull.

Incidentally - the history of this particular mask, it's a mask of French manufacture that was issued to a U.S. soldier named "Webber" in 1918.

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't do it!

Kristof.

You win! - I bottled out of changing the lenses. My M2 is still in (pretty) good condition, and still has knackered eyepieces! (probably always will!)

dave.