Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge Identification

hen190782

Good Evening

I have been asked if I can get help to identify the regiment in which John McLoughlin (b1880, Tyrone) served - from the crown and chevrons, I assume that he was a Staff Sergeant (?).

post-43948-0-08523900-1355688945_thumb.j

Grateful for any help.

Thanks

Nigel

The cap badge is Royal Artillery. The badges above his stripes are probably the pair of gun badges worn by RA sergeants, though I cannot see them well.

D

Hello Nigel. If this man had pre war service with the 'Skins' and was born in 1879 at Drummagh, Omagh, and had an address at No 2 Rover Row, Castle Street, Omagh. He has 4 pages of records in FMP.

Cheers.

Tom./

Tom

The info given to me was

Birth Date: 14 Jun 1880

Birth Place: Cullynain

So, I do not think that he is the same guy - although the family did think he might have served in S Africa.

Nigel

I assume the photos is taken well after the Boer War as this man appears much older that 20? If so he is not wearing any ribbons, so probably did not serve there.

Blackblue

I assume the picture was taken during WW1, when he would be in his mid-30s - the SA possibility was suggested by the family.

Nigel

It might be worth seeing if there are any John McLoughlin's listed as Serjeants in the Artillery here: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/medal-index-cards-ww1.htm. Doesn't seem to be working at the moment. I couldn't find any of that name listed on Ancestry, but that doesn't seem as accurate due to search criteria. Did he have a middle name at all? It's also possible he was known as McLaughlin. If you obtain likely numbers our artillery experts here may be able to tell you if he served with the TF and link him to a local unit. Rgds Tim D