Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sergeant Stripes

archangel9

Hi,

Any site or post on GWF which has an easy to follow guide on the different Infantry stripe configurations?Particularly showing the differences between -

Sergt. Major.

Band Master.

Colour Sergt.

Sergt.

Band Sergt.

Or could anyone post examples here?

Thanks

John

One of Grumpys previous posts on the matter.

I shall simplify matters, and deal only with infantry, being happy to clarify differences eg Foot Guards, Household Cavy, RA RE Scottish as anyone requires.

When war broke out the Regular Infantry and Special Reserve had been on the 4 company organisation for only a short time. There were only two Warrant Officers, the Sergeant Major, wearing a crown lower sleeve, and the Bandmaster

wearing the large lyre, wreath and crown lower sleeve.

The erstwhile Colour Sergeants of the old eight companies, [badge three inverted chevrons [ie point down, because a chevron in heraldry is point up] with crown above] were appointed Company Sergeant Major or Company Quartermaster Sergeant of the new double companies, strictly on seniority, and continued briefly to wear the same badges. The only other man in the hierarchy to consider is the Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant, next in seniority to the Sergeant Major and Bandmaster. His badge was four chevrons [real ones, point up] lower sleeve with eight-pointed star above.

AO174 of 1915 introduced a second class of Warrant Officer, and the ensuing revisions were: WO I appointed Regimental SM a small size Royal Arms lower sleeve, Bandmaster no change, RQMS [now a WO II] a crown, CSM [now a WO II] similarly, and CQMS no change. The title RSM had never been needed before an extra sort of SM, the CSM, was invented, of course.

AO 309 of 1918 made further changes, primarily that an RQMS was to be distinguished from the CSMs by a wreath surrounding the crown. None of these badges described was new, having been used for other ranks/appointments in other arms of service etc.

The supreme authority on this most complicated topic was the late Major Nicholas P Dawnay, whose several works I hold and whom it was my privilege to know and quiz on some topics.

Also previously posted by Grumpy, which illustrates the post above:

http://postimage.org/image/dst7qlt3f/

NCO_ranks_1914_18.jpg

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

I recently purchased a group photo of 50 Connaught Rangers of the 1st Battalion. The group consists of 5 officers, whom I have identified, and 45 sergeants some of whom have more than just the regular 3 stripes. I have 10 high resolution close ups which I will post shortly and hopefully these can be identified. You will forgive me if I don’t post the full photo here as I paid a ridiculous amount of money for it.

The group photo was taken in India in either 1912 or 1913, but most of those present would have served in the Great War. At the time the battalion was organised into 8 companies, the 4 company organisation being introduced on August 14th 1914, with 2 warrant officers.

I’ll drop Grumpy a PM.

John

post-38480-0-64789700-1355669468_thumb.j

With Delhi Durbar, QSA and KSA ribbons.

post-38480-0-01363600-1355669538_thumb.j

Not as clear as the others but as good as I can get it.

post-38480-0-71384400-1355669585_thumb.j

post-38480-0-34237300-1355669615_thumb.j

post-38480-0-04125900-1355669699_thumb.j

post-38480-0-74785500-1355669728_thumb.j

Thanks

John

CSgt

RQMS

Orderly Room QMS

Band Sgt

5? unclear possibly pioneer sgt

Drum Sgt

CSgt PTI

Sgt PTI

Sgt, marksman

CSgt

so, where is the sergeant-major, and the armourer sgt I ask myself?