Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Enlistment in Uckfield and Lewes

Jim Hastings

Hi All,

Just wondered if any forum members would know where recruits went to enlist in Uckfield and in Lewes? Lewes may have been the Town Hall but does any one know for sure? Uckfield I have no idea and have found no information so far in my search.

Any direction gratefully received

Many thanks

Jim

Jim,

I have just found a recruiting poster for the 7th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment in "Sussex in the First World War", at the bottom of which is a list of Recruting Offices: Uckfield and Lewes are both given as "Drill Hall".

Phil

Outstanding, thank you Phil, I'll track those drill halls down, although I heard of one in Framfield Road in Uckfield but think that's long gone

Appreciate that Phil

Jim

Jim,

There are some useful nuggets in that book that I've drawn on from time to time. I don't know if it is still available. It was published by the Sussex Record Society (2004) and 3 or 4 years ago they were almost giving away their surplus stock of various volumes. I got it for a fiver, all in.

ISBN 084455 056 4

Phil

Thanks Phil,

I managed to get one from WSRO for a fiver (after seeing it a Lewes bookshop for £40!!) but have lent it out for last few weeks (my boy's school doing local history project), will have it back next week for a look-see

Looking forward to Hugh Miller's book on the RSR out now (an Xmas hint to my good lady!)

Thanks again

Jim