Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yeomanry Chevrons and Unit I/D Assistance

tn.drummond

Purchased some interesting photographs of a Yeomanry Camp c1908-1914 (I assume) all photographed at a distance.

Have meddled away on Photoshop to try and and get a grip on the unit but only solid clues I've found are some RS Fusiliers present. Light Yeomanry cap band 'snows out' any and all chance of spotting the cap badge other than to indicate it's a small 'un.

Clearest side shot is of a chap with three inverted chevrons on right lower arm (photo has not been inverted) with what could be a small sheaf above. Admit it could be a distance Judging or Efficiency badge (thanks are due to Grumpy's book) but am a little confused by the chevrons; surely Yeomanry didn't have Drum Majors so what do they signify ?

All clues together suggest Lothians and Border Horse to me but none of the Yeomanry photographed have cutaway tunics.

As I've had to blow most images up to 600dpi I'm a little limited in what I can post but will try my best.

All observations welcomed

Tim

post-53823-0-83813800-1355427632_thumb.j

Crown above 3 chevrons = Troop Sgt. Major.

Many thanks, didn't know that.

One per Squadron ?

Tim

One per Troop Sgt. Major per Troop - One Squadron Sgt. Major per Squadron.

Thanks - that's clear. Certainly hadn't heard the term Squadron SM.

Tim

I wouldn't expect Scottish yeomanry to have cutaway tunics. The cutaway was to allow access to the sporran, worn with the kilt by infantry only. So I think they could indeed be L&BH.

On reflection I think you're correct about the cutaways. As you, I think L&BH are the best bet.

Thanks

Tim