Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Essex Farm

gem22

I'm reading 'Officers and Gentlemen' about the LRB and in it the author mentions a farm known to the British Army as 'Essex' Farm. It's located in Ploegsteert woods about 300 metres south of Rifle House cemetery.

Later the author mentions another 'Essex' farm. This one is near Wieltje farm cemetery, locally the farm was called Wieltje farm, and its just outside St Jan near the end of the A19.

I already knew of the 'Essex' Farm near Brielen where John McCrae worked and so this made me wonder. How many more 'Essex' farms exist on the western front? Also, is that the most popular name give to local farms by British troops or does another name hold that honour?

Anybody got any ideas?

Garth

The LRB at this period were Brigaded with the 2nd Bn Essex Regiment of 4th Division. They only farms I know they named were the three mentioned by yourself; after the Salient they moved to the Somme, where there were fewer such farms, and although they named a few trenches, they don't appear to have named a farm again.

It was very common for units to do this, and for a single building to be known by many such names during the war.