Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

USIGNY DUMP

KONDOA

Can a Pal provide a location for this position. I know it was within artillery (Howitzer) range from St Emilie/Villers Faucon but do not have contemporary mapping.

I suspect it is in fact referring to a dump at Essigny le Grand, which is roughly SW of St Quentin and was within the British front line area on 21st March 1918. The 36th (Ulster) Division held this sector at the time.

Thank you Paul, I did wonder if that was the one as I have a further reference as:-

Fosse Usigny Dump ( III Corp Artillery target 23rd sept 1918)

Presumably that would be Magny-la-Fosse and Essigny as you suggest.

Only 2 x 6" Siege Batteries were allotted to III Corp that day , one of which was 545 SB , 47 Brigade. So I now know where/what Grandfather was shooting at.

"USIGNY Dump—a strong point for machine guns. Here lie over a hundred German dead, killed by artillery fire whilst drifting to the rear"

Source: Fourth Army Operations Papers, volume 52, serial 2

Wasn't Essigny le Grand in the french sector, well to the south? there was also Isigny Trench to the west of St Quentin, near Manchester Hill, but I think this was also a bit south. The targets for III Corps on Sept 23 would have been in the Epehy-Lempire area, but I cannot find Usigny Keep on any map. If Drake can supply any further info or names mentioned, we can probably pinpoint it. Peter.

Wasn't Essigny le Grand in the french sector, well to the south?

No, as stated, the 36th (Ulster) Division was here on 21.3.18.

The British lines extended even further south than Essigny.

Paul, yes I agree that Essigny was in British sector in March, but enquiry is re September 18, You probably have copy of The story of the Fourth Army by Montgomery, loose map shows III corps front in front of Epehy and Lempire at the period in question. Peter.

I hadn't read his second post carefully enough - you are quite right.

In September 1918 this makes less sense because, as you say, this area was in the French sector as they made it clear to Haig they wanted to liberate St Quentin.

Perhaps then it is a name for a local dump somewhere else?

Thanks for the debate Chums, Im away from my papers at the moment so shall hopefully clarify the subject when these are at hand.

Just a thought from looking at my Michelin. Assuming the dump was between Magny and Essigny, this would have overlooked the Le Tronquoy tunnel so would have been important as a target. However I must recheck the diary dates to see where we are.

• 1 month later...

Have found Fosse Usigny referred to in previous posts. Not where I thought it would be but there you go!!

However, 47 Brigade diary for 8th October 1918 would confirm this to be correct.

Beaurevoir - Very successful attack on 4th Army Front. Brigade HQ moved to Beaurevoir. Batteries also move. 146SB to Sonia Farm. 309SB to Bronx Farm. 189 and 109 to Usigny Dump. 545 to Ponchaux.

Roop

In September 1918 this makes less sense because, as you say, this area was in the French sector as they made it clear to Haig they wanted to liberate St Quentin.

G'day

DID the French liberate St Quentin?

Pat

Hi Bonza, nice to see you back.

By what I can gather they did, but I dont have any documentation on this, perhaps other "chums" can clarify.

Roop