Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BillyH

I don't think anyone has posted this on the GWF yet?

On "The Antiques Roadshow" last night the famous cricketer Ted Dexter was talking about his father who had served through the entire 1914-19 war as an officer, and had been awarded the Military Cross.

Unfortunately he only had the presentation box, the actual medal had been stolen many years ago.

Having been at the Old Trafford Test match in 1964 I was lucky enough to see Ted Dexter score 174 against Australia (a happy sporting memory for me) so it would be really nice if this post could help to find this medal and perhaps get it re-united with the Dexter family.

BillyH.

Unfortunately Billy, the Military cross was not engraved with the details of the recipient. Some had them privately engraved later, so the great majority of MC's held by collectors, museums or offered for sale cannot be associated with an individual if they have become detached from the original documentation and passed from the hands of the original recipient's family.

Keith

He did say that it was engraved with the name etc.

Whoops - yet another programme that I didn't watch.

Please ignore my previous comment

Keith

Here's a direct link to that part of the programme on iPlayer Click (available until 8:39PM Sun, 16 Dec 2012)

I'm reasonably certain that this gives the LG citation. Click

Pity that they gave the impression that he was the only officer to have managed to serve throughout the war - least that how it came across to me - rather than the only one in his battery, nevertheless, still an achievement worth mentioning and an interesting item.

NigelS

I commented on that as well.

At the end of the program I was still giggling about the parachute silk knickers with the makers stamp and inspection marks!

He was of course entitled to a 1914/15 Star Trio as well as the M.C., but this was never mentioned? Hopefully some collector has them?

According to his MIC he went to France in July 1915--so not exactly the whole war as was suggested on the programme. The MIC has a pencilled reference with which I am unfamiliar: P/46202/5. This is something which I have not come across previously, and I wonder if it relates to the loss or re-issue of his medals? It appears to have been added much later than the 1920's.

Any ideas?

The MIC has a pencilled reference with which I am unfamiliar: P/46202/5. This is something which I have not come across previously, and I wonder if it relates to the loss or re-issue of his medals? It appears to have been added much later than the 1920's.

Any ideas?

46202 was the Long Number by which his officers service record file was organised in WO339 series, so it's definitely correspondence relating to him and his file should show what that correspondence related to. Ordinarily the P/ is a giveaway to later service which, although the case here, in this instance doesn't appear to be his later number as the index to the Long Numbers shows his later P prefixed number as P/157660/1. Unfortunately further service means his file is still with the MOD.

Regards

Steve

post-1432-0-24523400-1355139879_thumb.jp

Acting Major llth Oct. 1918. Temp. Lt. (actg. Capt.) R. M. Dexter, M.C.

Relinquish the actg. rank of Maj. : — Temp. Lt. R. M. Dexter, M.C. 3rd Aug. 1919.

He was then promoted from Temp Lt to Major in September 1921 when he left the service.

You have just pipped me. My offering is in chit-chat.

Lucky you, seeing the great 'Lord Ted' in full flow.

D

To be honest it was a bit of a boring game, a featherbed batting pitch, scorching hot all 5 days (yes, in Manchester!)

Ted Dexter 174 : Ken Barrington 256 : replying to a MASSIVE score by Australia (Bobby Simpson scored 310)

A bit off topic here, sorry, nostalgia striking.

BillyH.

Sorry if this is off-topic, but upstairs I have a cricket bat autographed by the 1963 England & W.Indies teams including Ted Dexter (indeed, I have a feeling the bat itself was a "Ted Dexter" brand one). I never realised his father was a WW1 soldier!

I didn't see the programme -did he say which Battery(s) his father served in ?

You should still be able to view that part of the programme on your PC using BBC iplayer using this Link

NigelS

I stand corrected Leo, my memory's not too bad for an old codger though?

I've still got the scorecard, it looks a lot more interesting than the match actually was.

BillyH.