Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thiepval Visitors Centre

Simmo

Does anyone have any photos of the centre they could post on the forum for me? Any showing its location in relation to the memorial would be gratefully received. If not could someone due to visit take some for me?

Simmo.

I had been there yesterday. Very friendly staff; I was granted VIP access - recommend the excellent book store and the exhibition - was a great sneak preview

post-12-1093793149.jpg

Thanks guys - i'll keep my eyes peeled for any more news. Wish I could be there. Maybe next summer.

Simmo.

Cynthia and I will be going to the Official Opening on Monday 27th September. We will be going over with the "Great and the Good" on Eurostar and inevitably lowering the tone of the whole event ! Hope some other Pals may be in evidence.

I know some folk are not 100% enthusiatic about the Thiepval Centre. I hope to be pleasantly surprised and travel optimistically with an open mind. We also hope to be carrying a congratulatory message from "Smiler " Marshall who we hope to visit the previous evening.

Full report will follow in due course.

The new centre is low profile and is not obtrusive at all. In fact, if it is not well signposted many visitors may well miss it entirely!

It is a little way away from the memorial site itself and is barely visible in the landscape being set in a hollow and behind earthworks.

I for one think it's a great thing and I agree with Terry, it's very unobtrusive and in the best possible "taste". I think it's high time that the British effort on the Somme is dignified with a building/museum/information centre such as this. It seemed that other nationalities have had this sort of thing for a while now and we were behind.

Anyway, look forward to your report Ian.

Mark

I think it's high time that the British effort on the Somme is dignified with a building/museum/information centre such as this. It seemed that other nationalities have had this sort of thing for a while now and we were behind.

I am all in favour of this centre, but do remember it is largely French funded, staffed by the French and run by the French museum, the Historial, from Peronne. It is not, as such, a "British" visitors centre, but a Somme one... the original intention was that it would be just British, but not enough funding was forthcoming.

I can't say because I haven't read the panels yet, but as I understand it they will look at the battle from all angles, not just British.

Interesting Paul- I've only visited the building during the latter stages and assumed it was funded entirely by British donations. I'm all in favour of a "wide angle" on the Somme, a view that encompasses all sides and different perspectives and the Historial remains one of my favourite museums... but at the same time I was disappointed at the "new" Beaumont Hamel centre that more wasn't said about the British attacks that took place there. Of course, it's understandable that a Canadian funded project on a designated Canadian battlefield has a bias...

Seems a bit sad to me that there isn't a British version of Beaumont Hamel...

Mark

Paul - no, the semi-special Eurostar train (about half those on it will be going to Thiepval) will stop at Haute Picardie which I understand is a 30 minute drive or so from Thiepval.

We have pushed the boat out and have booked first class - we figure this will get us hard-core Great War enthusiasts up with the elite chattering classes - could be amusing ! Cynthia is threatening to bring her copy of "Tommy" for Richard Holmes to sign. I must also warn her not to address the Duke of Kent in the manner of a Ryder Cup American wife who said "Hi , Duke" when introduced to Prince Andrew ! Only joking , Cynthia !

It will be strange (and maybe a bit disconcerting) to be wafted to Thiepval in extreme luxury and ease- and wearing a suit . Normal service will no doubt be resumed for the next visit !

Guest AmericanDoughboy

When I visited there last month the visitor center wasn't complete, but the bookstore was indeed, and I must say it was an excellent one. However, I would've really hoped to see the visitor center. Maybe next time.

-Doughboy

If this thread has been beaten to death with a stick before on the forum - my apologies.

My first visit to the Somme battlefield and the Memorial had a profound effect, demanded an explanation and was the catalyst of my interest in the Great War. Is the purpose of the centre to pander to those who arent curious, a facility for the 'been there, done that' generation?

I hope to be proved wrong - but at the moment I wish the place would have been left as it was.

Simmo.

I don't know Simmo- I see the new visitors centre at Thiepval more as a part of larger process where the battlefields are being embraced by historical tourism. It's inevitable that things like this will spring up as visitor numbers increase.

When I used to go to the Somme there was nothing there, well, the Historial in Perrone was just being built. There were no visitors centre at Beaumont Hamel, only a small selection of guide books... I noted that Thiepval was visited by a disparate group of people. Historians, people searching out relatives, confused people who turned off the auto route with only a vague understanding why...

I reckon this centre will provide enough explanation to some people and not enough enough to others. It's the latter group who will go away (like you did) and discover more. It's all fair enough.

I think it'll only enhance Thiepval...

Mark

Hi Pals,

I have not yet seen the center, but have seen many pictures and parts of the plans. From what have seen it is very unobtrusive, which was a major concern when I initally heard of the plans. I will be ont he Somme from the 29th September to the 3rd of Oct and am very much looking forward to seeing it in the flesh so to speak. I think though it cannot be as relaxing as having a coffee and a chat with Teddy Cullegan at the Ulster Tower Memorial up the road. I had a very enjoyable chat with him last year about the Swaban redoubt. And we met Murry Walker also (I am a fanatical Formula 1 fan as well as WW1).

It is a pity that we will miss the offical opening as we will be on the Salient for a couple of days prior to heading down to the Somme. Cant wait, new boots and GPS bought invested, flights booked, hotel booked, all I need is the Euros for more books and a couple of beers.

Hope to meet some pals on the field.

Regards

Ross.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, Ian, I was going to do my usual American thing and give him a big kiss! But I guess I will behave myself since I have a feeling you will be right there with the hook to pull me back!

I'll refrain from the ''Hi, Duke," but do I have to curtsey????

Cynthia

PS I have decided to bring a book label for Richard Holmes to sign instead of bringing 'Tommy.' The book nearly weighs as much as Robert Stark did when he enlisted!