Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Blaze on a 1915 dated Foriegn service helmet

pukman

Hello ,

I am looking for information about a 1915 dated Foriegn service helmet,more specifically the origins of a red/khaki blaze on the side of the helmet.

I have asked many authors/collectors/authorians ,so far no definative answers.It was found here in New Zealand.

The usual patch on a New Zealand worn early WW1 helmet would be a strip of pugaree ,which has three stripes ,for example khaki/red /khaki for infantry.Other suggestions that it could be of British or Indian army origin

Any suggestions welcomed .It has an unusual inscription written inside AD.WA which is also a mystery.

post-44632-0-11038900-1354904092_thumb.j

Hi Pukman,

The flash may denote which battalion of a regiment the wearer belonged to. As to which regiment it could be, I can't help.

I found various flashes on display at the Green Howards museum while there trying to find out more about relatives that had been in the regiment in WW1. Unfortunatly my computer crashed & I no longer have the photos I took so can't post an example.

Its just one possibilty,

Alex

I don't remember ever seeing this flash before, but they are well known for being hard to trace to specific units, except for the better known examples, such as that for the RA.

Hi

I reckon that this might have been a good buy, in fact hit gold.

I reckon it could be from the native contingent - there are a series of photos of the Native contingent leaving in February 1915 from Narrow Neck and one of them lined up on the wharf shows them with a similar patch, two tone left is a lighter colour than the right.

It has been suggested however that this is Red and Black in the book - NZ Army Distinguishing patches 1911-1991.

Obviously Red and Black would fit perfectly with Maori.

I notice on page 33 of Te Hokowhitu A Tu by Chris Pugsley that the maori blokes in the desert have the same band patch, this could be khaki and red.

Hope that helps.

lucky lucky lucky if it is

Hi

I reckon that this might have been a good buy, in fact hit gold.

I reckon it could be from the native contingent - there are a series of photos of the Native contingent leaving in February 1915 from Narrow Neck and one of them lined up on the wharf shows them with a similar patch, two tone left is a lighter colour than the right.

It has been suggested however that this is Red and Black in the book - NZ Army Distinguishing patches 1911-1991.

Obviously Red and Black would fit perfectly with Maori.

I notice on page 33 of Te Hokowhitu A Tu by Chris Pugsley that the maori blokes in the desert have the same band patch, this could be khaki and red.

Hope that helps.

lucky lucky lucky if it is

I'm sure I am not breaching copyright as this same picture is from another source..

Rodger. I am exploring all options on this ''mystery flash''..I am in discussions with a English author who has wriiten a book about British Indian army foreign service helmets.He thinks that the patch may have been faded from its original colour,as many patches subjected to strong sunlight were prone to do.Perhaps the black colour ,has faded to a khaki colour .If so then it may well be a Maori battalion patch!!!!!

Unfortunately this is not so in the case ,as the reverse colour on the flash is the same as the front

post-44632-0-44063900-1355073127_thumb.j