Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tommy Poppy

davidbohl

A returning boy soldier, both legs amputated has a badge in his lapel.

Is this a version of the Tommy Poppy ?

Many Thanks

Dave Bohl

TommyPoppy

WW1 War wounded

Dave - do you know the name of the soldier, or a date for the photo? The reason I ask is that the clothes the men are wearing make me think the photo may be pre-1914.

What's a Tommy Poppy?

Tom

tom, just a box of old photies from a deceased relative, we know she had family in ww1.

One of them was only 17.

Reference:WO 372/19/152671

• Description: Medal card of Tarbuck, Frederick Arthur Corps Regiment No Rank Royal Garrison Artillery 362559 Boy

The tommy poppy is something I saw on ebay, it refers to injured soldiers in ww1 to do with Royal British Legion and 'Lest We Forget', probably a red herring.

The badge seems to be holding something like a flame torch and a flower, hard to tell.

cheers

dave

Dave

I also think this photo is earlier than WW1, probably 1880-1900 judging by the clothes they are wearing.

Rgds, W.

I'd never heard of a Tommy Poppy before today but gooogling around it doesn't look like one - there one currently on ebay. Its a very unusual badge that he has for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Every time I see this badge it reminds me of the Girl Guide badges of imps:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NICE-COLLECTION-OF-5-GIRL-GUIDE-BROWNIE-PIXIE-MIXED-LOT-VARIOUS-CLOTH-BADGES-/140895774747?pt=UK_Collectables_Memorabila_RL&hash=item20ce0ae81b&nma=true&si=9IO5kuo%2B%2BtwQkqcRBvtYa4E2aGg%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

But the figure to my eye looks like it might represent a chimney sweep, holding his brush in his right hand with the bristles behind his head...

Andrew, I think you are on the right lines there

The Chimney Sweepers Act 1834 contained many of the needed regulations. It stated that an apprentice must express himself in front of a magistrate that he was willing and desirous. Masters must not take on boys under the age of fourteen. The master could only have six apprentices and an apprentice could not be lent to another master. Boys under fourteen who were already apprenticed, must wear brass cap badges on a leather cap. Apprentices were not allowed to climb flues to extinguish fires. Street cries were regulated.[34] The act was resisted by the master sweeps, and the general public believed that property would be at risk if the flues were not cleaned by a climbing boy.

Many Thanks