Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Operations on the North West Frontier, 1914-18

marksimner

Can anyone suggest any good books that cover the operations on the North West Frontier of India during the First World War? In particular I am interested in the actions fought in 1915.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Mark

Greetings

Try Turmoil and Tragedy in India 1914 and After by Lt Gen Sir George MacMunn.

However by far the best (and FREE) information is available by extracting despatches from India on the London Gazette.

Harry

Mark

Another free source of information is to download the book The History of the Indian Mountain Artillery By C.A.L. Graham from Internet Archive :

http://archive.org/details/IndianMountainArtillery

Then turn to pages 197-216 where operations on the NWF during the Great War are covered.

Harry

There is also the book "Crises on the Frontier" that deals with the 1919-1920 fighting on the NW frontier. It does have a little on the 1914-18 operations there and i believe it mentions 1 or 2 books written dealing with this subject.

Thanks, guys! Turmoil and Tragedy in India was very useful. Already read Robson's book 'Crisis on the Frontier' - probably the best book on the Third Afghan War to date. Details of the actions fought in 1915 seem rather scant but I think I got what Ineed.

Does anyone know where I can find more information about the trbesmen from this time? Again info seems a bit scant and generalistic.

Mark

An excellent concise description of the Frontier and its peope is contained within The Indian Political Service by Terence Creagh Cohen.

The authority on the people is probably Sir Olaf Caroe who wrote The Pathans, 550 BC - AD 1957.

Frontier Fighters. On Active Service in Waziristan edited by Jule Stewart should interest you:

http://www.naval-military-press.com/frontier-fighters-on-active-service-in-waziristan.html

(Naval & Military Press have reduced it and even so it is slightly cheaper on Amazon.)

The subject of the book, Major W.J. Cummings, served on the Frontier during the Great War.

Harry