Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Suggestions on books about MOs and Hospitals

bmac

Can anyone suggest any books about the experience of battalion Medical Officers, the RAMC and CCS/Base Hospitals. Thanks.

'Wartime Nurse - One hundred years from the Crimea to Korea' by Eric Taylor [Pub. by ISIS] is, [obviously], mainly focused on nurses and not doctors, but gives good information and background on hospitals and medical facilities. And slightly off topic, but such a good read is Philip Hoare's 'Spike Island' [pub. Fourth Estate] - a history and personal reminiscence of Netley Hospital - some very descriptive passages about the treatment of 'shell-shock' in the rather notorious 'D' block. Both easily available from libraries.

Regards - Sue

Another slightly off topic book is ROSES OF NO MANS LAND by Lyn Macdonald. Also if have you access to STAND TO they have covered this to some degree in earlier editions. Apologies if I am telling you something you already know but you can down load an index for the first 56 editions from the WFA site.

you can get a copy of the locations of hospitals and casualty clearing station British expeditionary force 1914-1919 which was compiled by the ministary of pensions, from the Imperial War Museum. But if I remember I got mine from Ray Westlakes Book shop`

it gives the town or place and periods there situated of CCS field ambulance and hospitals

regards

Maurice Davis