Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help in Newcastle, please!

Amy Kitcher

Can anyone living in Newcastle please help me. I would dearly love to get a photograph of my great, great grandfather's grave. He died during the Great War and was buried in Jesmond Cemetary, Newcastle. Plot Q, Row U, Grave 363.

He was rank of Leuitenant Quartermaster when he died and was serving at the Northern Headquarters (If I have understood it correctly.)

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Amy

Yes of course, that would be the most useful thing wouldn't it? (I am having one of those mornings). :blink:

His name was Charles George Harry Fordham, his date of death was 29th Oct 1917.

Thanks.

Amy

Amy,

You may like to take a look at this thread entitled Photographing Memorials:

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showt...l=photographing

It contains a list of Pals around the UK who have voluteered their willingness to help in situations such as this.

If you think you may be able to offer such help where you live, please join in.

>>>>>>>

Volunteers are always welcome, and it would be nice to extend this scheme further afield, if possible; so if any member has a camera and would like to help fellow Pals in their research, please add your name and location onto that thread.

PS - I am happy to take photos in Northampton. Please go to the thread for the full listing.

Amy

I live in Newcastle and will certainly go to take a photograph of your great Grandfather's grave, in the next few days.

A note of caution, however, - Jesmond Old Cemetery is now partly a 'green corridor'. When I went there a few months ago to take photographs of Northumberland Fusiliers graves, the part where some of the Northumberland Fusiliers were was (temporarily?) taped off, because of very large unstable headstones on other graves.

Was your grandfather in hospital in Newcastle or did he live there?

I will do my best with the photograph.

Kate

Thank you so much for you kind offer, Kate.

My gtgtgrandfather was a patient in the 1st Northern General Hospital. He suffered from "shell shock", but I've been told he died from gall stones. (?)

I am more than willing to cover the costs of your expenses. PM me if you want to discuss this.

Thanks again.

Amy

Amy

Here is the gravestone of Lt. Fordham. I will Email it separately to you at a larger size if this is not O.K. No expense was incurred.

Later I will post a picture of the setting of this grave which is nicely placed near a mature Chestnut tree.

Hope it is clear enough. Thank you for the information about this soldier.

Must investigate the exact meaning of General List.

Kate

post-19-1093697319.jpg

And here is the setting of the Gravestone showing the Chestnut tree.

Kate

post-19-1093698038.jpg

And here is the cross.

Monument to the soldiers in this cemetery and others in Newcastle.

Kate

post-19-1093698171.jpg

Thank you so much Kate, this really means alot to me. I don't suppose you know if his name appears on the memorial you that photographed? It isn't essential that I know this, i'm just curious really.

Thanks agian.

Amy

No, Amy.

It was a generalised inscription.

Hopefully you can see it here. Probably should have taken each of the faces separately.

Are you getting these pictures clearly enough?

Kate

post-19-1093717644.jpg

Yes thanks Kate, the pics are coming through fine. I have saved them all to my hard disk as well. Might get a few copies done of the head stone pic, to show the relatives. (Not that anyone except ime is interested in old graves, of course!!)