Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed to idenitify cap badge

sutton-in-craven

Hi, is anyone able to identify this regimental cap badge please?

The medal index card for Albert Akrigg states that he served with the Norfolk Reg't only.

A Keighley News report from 1918 states that he joined up about September 1916 and was allocated to the Norfolk Regiment. He went out to France in October 1917 and then on to Italy, returning to France in April 1918.

The Keighley News death announcement from 1925 however shows a photograph of Albert not wearing the Norfolk Regiment badge in his cap. Although very unclear, it appears to be a Maltese cross, possibly that of the Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regt). Is it possible that he may originally have been allocated to another regiment and subsequently transferred into the Norfolks. Many thanks, regards Andrew

post-47732-0-81183400-1354484573_thumb.j

post-47732-0-66604500-1354485450_thumb.j

The MIC shows that he went abroad with the Norfolk Regiment - he would have trained and/or served in UK with the N & D's.

Hi Andrew,

I would agree with Squirrel it looks very much like a Notts and Derby cap badge :thumbsup:

Perhaps it would be good to try and get Albert Akrigg's name added to the Sutton Memorial? and possibly that of Sylvester Petty?? Did I ever send you a copy of his photo??

Speak to you later,

Cheers, Robert

The MIC shows that he went abroad with the Norfolk Regiment - he would have trained and/or served in UK with the N & D's.

Thanks Squirrel, the MIC shows Albert's Enlistment date as 04-01-17 with the 3rd Norfolks and Discharge date as 07-03-19. So you still think it's possible he trained with and/or served with the Notts & Derby's? If so, would this not be reflected on his MIC? I don't know, this is why I ask the question.

Hi Andrew, I would agree with Squirrel it looks very much like a Notts and Derby cap badge :thumbsup: Perhaps it would be good to try and get Albert Akrigg's name added to the Sutton Memorial? and possibly that of Sylvester Petty?? Did I ever send you a copy of his photo?? Speak to you later, Cheers, Robert

Hi Robert, thanks for confirming what looks like a Notts & Derby cap badge. Yes trying to get Albert's name + other casualties currently not listed/ missing from the Sutton memorial ADDED could be a proposition I may explore further. My gut tells me it could be a challenge, but let me give it some thought and I may make a few inquires.

You did send me the image of Sylvester Petty, but I'll probably get back to you yet about Sylvester plus other war dead missing from the memorial ;)

post-47732-0-24076400-1354495479_thumb.j

It certainly looks like a Notts and Derby cap badge.

The Silver War Badge roll also states the 3rd Norfolks, which were a UK based training unit (so interesting to see it recorded on the MIC unless that was for the SWB) the only possibilities I see are:-

1) Conscripted/trained with a Notts and Derby Battalion, transfered overseas to 1/Norfolks (awarded BWM & VM), wounded and transfered to UK to 3/Norfolks (awarded SWB) and then discharged (thats the only reason I can see why 3/Norfolks is recorded on MIC)

2) The Unit was transcribed incorrectly on the MIC AND SWB Roll (unlikely for both??)

3) The newspaper printed the wrong picture!

post-4619-0-56847700-1354534211_thumb.jp

Mike, thanks very much for your detailed analysis outlining one of three probable scenarios.

I think the most logical probability is the first option you outline - that Albert was conscripted/trained with a Notts and Derby Battalion, transfered overseas to 1/Norfolks (awarded BWM & VM), wounded and transfered to UK to 3/Norfolks (awarded SWB) and then discharged.

That's excellent that we're able to see the Silver War (wound) Badge Roll showing Albert was discharged with the 3rd Norfolks.

Did the newspaper print the wrong picture?. Always possible! but I suspect highly unlikely. Fortunately I have now managed to make contact with one of Alberts great nieces, so she is now hunting for more photos of him.

Thanks again Mike for taking the time to check out the SWB roll and offer a number of suggestions :D

Regards, Andrew

The East Anglian units often used 4XXXX numbers for groups of transfers from different regiments or from the T.F. to New Army. It may be worth checking SDGW or service records for men with nearby numbers to see if they were N&D men.

Steve.

1) Conscripted/trained with a Notts and Derby Battalion, transfered overseas to 1/Norfolks (awarded BWM & VM), wounded and transfered to UK to 3/Norfolks (awarded SWB) and then discharged (thats the only reason I can see why 3/Norfolks is recorded on MIC)

I agree with this one. SWB rolls give date of enlistment but don't say which regiment. He was discharged from 3rd Norfolks but that doesn't mean that he trained with them before. If he didn't serve overseas with N&D and wasn't discharged from that regt then there's no reason why it would show up in any medal records.