Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Reserve / RDC at Barton on Sea, Hants

Bob Chandler

After guarding POWs on prison ships in the Solent, some men of the Royal Berks National Reserve (RDC) were stationed at Barton on Sea. Anyone know why that might have been? I know there was a convalescent hospital there but I can't see a connection there. Was there a POW camp in the area? Cheers Bob

Charles

do you have any info on the R Berks men who were at Barton - where did the information come from . The 1st HSG Bn of the R Berks became the 14th Bn of the RDC in March 1916

John

• 2 weeks later...

Charles

do you have any info on the R Berks men who were at Barton - where did the information come from . The 1st HSG Bn of the R Berks became the 14th Bn of the RDC in March 1916

John

John, apologies for the delay in replying, I got this information from the West Berkshire war memorials website, obituary for James Aaron GRIGG, states the HQ of no 1 Supernumerary Coy was at Barton. I was interested because my granddad was in one of these coys and the story is he was stationed in the Dorchester / Bovington area at some point. I'll also pm you. P.s have put Friends and Enemies on my Christmas list, fingers crossed.

• 6 months later...

Dear Sir

My name is Phil GWF Member I did try to send a message but it would not except

I was given your contact information from Phil Wood regarding you might be able to help I am after a possible newspaper obituray for the soldier below, have you by chance in your searches of Berkshire war memorials and local newspapers come across this soldier my interest is that he died serving with the Shropshire L.I., but came from Newbury, any help most appriciated

thanks PHILIP

Private, Cecil John Pope, 13743, 7TH KSLI Killed-in-ActionBATTLE OF BAZENTINE RIDGE14th July 1916, Age 28, born Highclere, Newbury, enlisted Wrexham; son of William and Maria Pope, of Welford Gardens, Newbury, Berkshire