Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier's Map

carninyj

I came across this - see attached - tonight amongst some scans I had made of documents I was once shown. I've always wondered where exactly this soldier (12 Royal Irish Rifles) was at the time. Do you know?

Regards

carninyj

post-4-1093564054.jpg

It's near the village of Wulverghem in Flanders, on the southern end of the Messines Ridge. North Midland Farm is on the Wulverghem-Messines road, and St Quentin Cabaret marked close by is the location of a cemetery of the same name. I don't have my trench map CD to hand; perhaps Dave (Croonart) will oblige?

Paul is right. (Of course !).

St Quentin Cabaret is bound to ring that bell at once.

Unfortunately I can't find back my photocopied part of a trench map showing the location, and neither can I find back that photo of the place shortly after the war.

So in anticipation of Dave C. getting ito action you will have to do with this 2004 map. (I have included the neighbouring villages of Kemmel, Wijtschate, Mesen, Nieuwkerke.)

St. Quentin Cabaret Cemetery strangely enough is not marked on the map. It is in the centre of Wulvergem in the corner of

- that little (white) road leading west just north of and parallel to the Douvebeek,

- and that coloured road leading southwest from the centre, to Nieuwkerke (the cemetery on that road, south west of the centre of Wulvergem is Kandahar Cem.)

Aurel

post-4-1093607360.jpg

Thank you one and all. As usual the quality of the response and the speed of its delivery is staggering. I'm most grateful.

Regards

carninyj

St. Quentin Cabaret Cemetery strangely enough is not marked on the map.

Aurel

Aurel

I have noticed this before on Belgium maps, that War Cemeteries may not always be marked This seems strange, theyare permanent features. Conversley I haven't found one missing from the French IGN Maps yet.

Tim

Tim,

To be honest, I have never found one missing on my IGN maps scale 1:25 000.

But as I don't have that map for Wulvergem (must be 28/5-6), I had to use the scale 1:50 000 map (Ieper 27-28-36). And there St Quentin Cabaret Cem. appears to be missing. Yet all the other cemeteries I checked on that map (in and around my own village Boezinge) were marked.

Strange.

Aurel

perhaps Dave (Croonart) will oblige?

Awww! Go on then !!! :D

Unsure of the date required, so here's a few....

Map 1. (1/4/17)...

post-4-1093646142.jpg

...map 2 (6/3/18)...

post-4-1093646271.jpg

...and map 3 (19/9/18)...

post-4-1093646377.jpg

Hi, some explanation...

St-Quentin cabaret - 250m from the church of Wulverghem is not on the territory of Wulverghem but it is already territory of Ploegsteert ...Valley of the Douve. You should never think when a house, a cemetary is very close to a church, it must belong to that village....... . 350m on the north - east side of Wulvergem -The Stuiverbeekbrook is the limit between Wulvergem and Wytschaete (to Wytschaete church 3,5 km) . Limits may be very peculiar. The cemetery close to St-Quentin Cabaret is on Ploegsteert.

Frie

(and also Tim)

You are absolutely right !

And shamefacedly I have to admit that what I said with regard to my IGN map fragment of a few postings ago was wrong. For St. Quentin Cabaret Cemetery IS on that map indeed. Vertically below the first letter of Wulvergem.

And the reason I'm wrong is obvious : the boundary between Wulvergem and Ploegsteert indeed is unbelievably close to Wulvergem church.

Never again will I think I am good at map reading...

Aurel