Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The 'Accrington Pals'

tincie

I have found two books containing info about the 'Accrington Pals'.

The first is a history of the batallion. It contains an alphabetical nominal roll of NCO's and other ranks, 1914 - 1919. It lists rank and number. It also lists the original 'Pals' and their fate. There is a list of decorations 1916 - 1918. There are also several operation orders from HQ and about 100 individual soldier pictures.

The second is a pictoral history and is full of photographs. Most only tell you the 'company' in the picture. There are several individual pieces at the end (not all offices).

I also have a copy of the front page of the newpaper 'The Accrington Observer' for 8th Sept 1914, 12th Sept 1914, 15th Sept 1914, 23rd Feb 1915, 8th July, 11th July 1916, 15th July 1916, 22nd July 1916.

All contain photos, lists, articles about various battles that the 'Pals' took part in.

Let me know if you need any info from these sources. I'll do my best for you.

In memory of my Great Uncle Samuel Baron. C/313 16th Btn. King's Royal Rifle Brigade. Killed in action, remembered at Thiepval memorial. The last of our Baron line. May the sacrifice that he gave never be forgotten nor our freedom of choice ever taken for granted.

Tincie

My interest in the "pals" revolves around a chap called Act/Sgt Daniel Brady, no. 17950, joined in Accrington in January 1915 and died of wounds following the battle at Le Becque in June 1918.

Is he mentioned?

Thanks

Mark

My interest in the "pals" revolves around a chap called Act/Sgt Daniel Brady, no. 17950, joined in Accrington in January 1915 and died of wounds following the battle at Le Becque in June 1918.

Mark.

That name seems strangely familiar to me. Have I looked anything up on him for you previously?

I've got the complete War Diary for the 11/ELR from Dec.1915, but, unfortunately, the last entry in my possession is 31st May 1918. You could obtain the diary for June 1918 from Fulwood or Kew, though, if you need it.

Dave.

Dear Mark.

Daniel Brady made rank of Sgt. by all accounts. Have you visited CWGC? Content below. Sorry if you've already got this.

Name: BRADY, DANIEL

Initials: D

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: East Lancashire Regiment

Unit Text: "W" Coy. 11th Bn.

Date of Death: 29/06/1918

Service No: 17950

Additional information: Son of Richard and Sarah Brady, of Oswaldtwistle; husband of Hannah Jane Brady (nee Gudgeon), of 9, Stanley St., Oswaldtwistle, Accrington.

Enlisted, Jan., 1915.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. C. 12.

Cemetery: LONGUENESSE (ST. OMER) SOUVENIR CEMETERY

I have found a couple of references in my book.

'He was one of the Original Pals' and it lists him as 'Died during the war.' On the nominal roll it also gives his rank as Sgt.

The front page of the paper, 1915, lists D.Brady as joining 'E' company, which later became 'R' company. 'E/R' company were the reserve coy. He obviously then moved to 'W' coy (who started out as 'A'). CONFUSING. Thanks CO Rickman (who re-named A - W; B - X; C - Y; D - Z; E - R in March 1915)

I'll scan some of this info and send it to you over the next few days. I will also have a more detailed look through the books.

Have you got his medal card from the NA? A search shows a 2nd regiment and number ( You'll probably understand this better than I do)

Description Medal card of Brady, Daniel

Corps Regiment - No - Rank -

East Lancashire Regiment - 17950 - Acting Serjeant

Manchester Regiment - 62389 - Acting Serjeant

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/3

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Boundy D H - Campbell H

I'll be in touch soon! I'm new to all this and it takes me a while to understand military terms.

Hope this helps! I'm trying my best!

Time and effort dedicated to your memory Uncle Sam. Still thinking of ya!

I have found two books containing info about the 'Accrington Pals'.

The first is a history of the batallion. It contains an alphabetical nominal roll of NCO's and other ranks, 1914 - 1919. It lists rank and number. It also lists the original 'Pals' and their fate. There is a list of decorations 1916 - 1918. There are also several operation orders from HQ and about 100 individual soldier pictures.

The second is a pictoral history and is full of photographs. Most only tell you the 'company' in the picture. There are several individual pieces at the end (not all offices).

Tincie.

I don't know if I've already got the books that you mention, but just in case I haven't, is there any mention of 15558 C.Q.M.S. James O'Mara (later numbered 564242 in No.12 POW Coy) ?

To prevent you going over old ground, I'll tell you what I know...

Born : Burnley

Enlisted : Burnley

Resided :Burnley (97 Milton Street)

Died: 1956 in Burnley.

He enlisted on September 14th 1914 and was an original member of D(Z) Coy.(and was a centre forward in the company football team!). He left for Carnaerfon in Feb.1915 and disembarked at Port Said on 4th January 1916 (arrived at Alexandria on 1st January 1916 - hence him just missing out on a 1915 Star in his medal entitlement!). Went to France and was lightly wounded (as a L/Cpl) on the night of 29th/30th April 1916 during a bombardment in the area of Colincamps, but did not enter hospital. It is likely that he received his wound after being buried by a shell near "No.1 post". Went over at Serre on 1st July 1916, etc. etc.

Somewhere along the line he recieved 3 further promotions and transferred to the Labour Corps (?). As far as I know, he was unscathed for the rest of the war after April 1916, but ,apart from knowing what Z Coy got up to after 1st July, I'm very hazy on his personal history from here.

Any extra info. that you might be able to add would be very gratefully received.

Thanks,

Dave.

Dear Dave,

I'm still reading, but haven't found much more than you already know. The book has lots of 'A coy' photos, but no names. Would you recognise your man? Do you want me to scan these pics in?

The better of the 2 books is called 'Accrington Pals. A history of the battalion raised from Accrington, Blackburn, Burnley and Chorley in World War One.' by William Turner.

Regards,

Tincie

The book has lots of 'A coy' photos, but no names. Would you recognise your man? Do you want me to scan these pics in?

Hi Tincie.

I would recognise him, but he was in "D Coy", so I don't think that he'd be on the photos in your book. He's not in any of the photos in the Bill Turner collection (mostly held in Accrington library) either. My next port of call will be Fulwood Bks. I think.

I've got the book you mention (I take it it's one of the "Pals" series by Pen and Sword ?). There's also a book (mainly photos) published by Lancashire County Books called "Accrington Pals" also by Bill Turner. Is this the other one you mention?

If you really want to get "in deep" with the Accrington Pals history, then there are several others I know of. Bill Turner also did an "appendix" to his "Pals" book entitled "The Accrington Pals Remembered" consisting of the final resting places of the "pals" who didn't make it (some errors). He also wrote a "Battleground Europe" book entitled "Accrington Pals Trail - Home and Overseas" which is like a tour of the places that they went, along with a potted history. "Chorley Pals" by John M.Garwood is a decent history of "Y Coy" and there exists "The History of Z Company". I can't remember the author(s) of this, but they were Z Coy members. Another good history to get your hands on is "The East Lancashire Regiment 1914-18" By Maj.-Gen. Sir Lothian Nicholson and Major H.T.MacMullen. This has 40 pages of very detailed information about the 11th Battalion plus maps.

Accrington Library (and myself) also have the complete war diary for the 11th Bn from 1st Dec. 1915 through to 31st May 1918 (Fulwood has the lot!), transcribed by Walter Holmes.

I've got all of the above save for the History of Z Coy (which I've got sections of), so if you're interest grows in the Pals, and you need more info., just drop me a line.

Dave.

Dave. Yes you've suppied me with quite a lot on Brady and I'm very grateful for it.

Tincie. Many thanks for the info supplied, always looking for that bit more as that's the beauty of researching particular individuals, you never know everything so the more each and every one of us can supply the more interesting it becomes.

• 2 years later...

Hi

Just picked up this thread.

Would anyone have some information on John Clymo Milton?

I know he was one of the founding officers to the Battalion, and presumably was in the Chorley Company.

Any assitance much appreciated.

Mick

Hi

Just picked up this thread.

Would anyone have some information on John Clymo Milton?

I know he was one of the founding officers to the Battalion, and presumably was in the Chorley Company.

Any assitance much appreciated.

Mick

I know of a Major James Clymo Milton - who was basically responsible for the raising of Y Coy (a Captain when he did this in Sept 1914). He was a solicitor who had lived at Russel Square in Chorley and was awarded the MBE and OBE (LG 3/6/19 and 1/1/23 respectively). He died in 1931 aged 62.

I have a photo of him somewhere, but you can probably find one on the net anyway. Is this him?

Dave.

I've got the complete War Diary for the 11/ELR from Dec.1914, but, unfortunately, the last entry in my possession is 31st May 1918.

Just an update -I now (and have done for quite a while now to be honest :ph34r: )possess the whole lot. If anyone needs a look-up, just ask.

Dave.