Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Native Lancers at Tank 1917

Dominic

hello all,

Does anyone know what regiment this group of lancers might have belonged to? Please see attached.

Many thanks

Dom

post-94337-0-24486000-1353958703_thumb.j

Difficult to say. I can't see anything to identify a regiment from the picture, and I can't find anything to identify a regiment at Tank. Tank wasn't, I think, a very big station, so it is possible these are men passing through or a detachment on duty. Tank is in the Derajat, which was recruited by the 35th Scinde Horse and 36th Jacob's Horse: as the men seem to be Muslims (judging by the headdress), it is possible they are from the 35th (the 36th were overseas). Although in 1917 were well away from the area (based at Jubbulpore, but with a squadrn at Lahore), it is I suspect possibe these are a recruiting party or depot outfit.

For what it's worth, the regimental historian (Maunsell) of the 35th and 36th comments, IIRC, that the Derajati Muslim wasn't a particularly easy man to make a soldier from.

Do you know the provenance of the picture? For example, I assume it was taken by a British soldier - do you know a regiment? Might be possible to do some reverse checking and see if any history mentions anything; also date in 1917.

The photos belonged to my Great Grandfather who served with RFC 31 Squadron. They sent a detachment to Tank in October 1917 so I imagine the photo was taken sometime after that. I believe they drove there from Risalpur (where they were based) as I also have a photo of them leaving in their truck. The photo is titled 'on the way to tank 1917' Not sure how far they had to travel and the time it would have taken.

I have quite a few photos which I'm happy to share if you or anyone else has an interest in this squadrons movements across the NWFP during and after WW1

Thanks

Dom

I should have mentioned that my information came from Chris Kempston's excellent work on the subject of Indian forces in the Great War.

I'll look this evening and check out distances from Risalpur to Tank, and see if anything else comes up.

I, for one, would be delighted to see the pictures. Have you considered contacting the Indian Military History Society? They might be interested to publish some in their journal, "Durbar". I'll PM you my e-mail address if you're interested.

Dom

Greetings

Your photos sound great - why not contact the IMHS:

http://www.imhs.org.uk/

and see if they want to put them up on the website?

Harry

thanks Steven / Harry.

I've uploaded some of the photo's to Flickr so if you search for reddin68's photostream you'll see more.

cheers

Dom

Bravo Dom

There are some very historic photos here - Many Thanks.

Harry

Great photos Dom which I think would be very rare. Thank you for sharing them

31 Squadron was the first squadron to fly in India, so the photos are indeed very historic

I have added a link to the FIBIS Fibiwiki pages Royal Air Force and North West Frontier Campaigns

http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php?title=Royal_Air_Force

http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php?title=North_West_Frontier_Campaigns

The FIBIS webmaster has also added a link on the FIBIS Facebook page.

Cheers

Maureen

thanks Maureen, I've uploaded a few more. Just need to find some time to tag and group them etc.