Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13th Middlesex Regt. - Transcribing War diary

jasonmarkwebber

Hi

For interest, I've just started transcribing and putting online the war diary of 13th (Service) Battalion Middlesex Regiment (73rd Brigade, 24th Division).

Before I get too far, just wanted to make sure that no-one has done it already?

I'm hoping to have it wrapped up by next spring. I'll add a link when I've done a decent amount worth showing.

Cheers.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

UPDATE: I've completed the first 7 months of the diary:

http://13thmiddlesexww1.wordpress.com/

It is notable that this diary, in contrast to the 3rd Grenadier Guards that i've previously transcribed, is much more helpful with names, including many 'Other ranks' and detailed casualty lists. This sort of thing will be of great help to anyone doing research.

Cheers.

Jason

Jason,

Thanks for sharing the information and I'll keep checking in from time to time to see how it's progressing.

FYI one of my great great uncles was in the 13th Middlesex. He was killed in June 1917 during the Messines offensive but some time ago I looked in to the battalion's role in the attack and to save you having to transcribe the pages in question, here is the information from the same war diary:

June 7th: The assembly trenches were reached about 2 a.m.

At 3.10 a.m. the 41st Divn went over the top & captured the Red Line (1st objective). At the same time several large mines were exploded. The intense bombardment lasted all the morning & during that time the Blue (DAMM STRASSE) & Black lines (2nd & 3rd objectives) were taken by the 41st Divn.

11.30 a.m. The 13th Middx. Regt. Moved forward to ECLUSE TRENCH & OLD FRENCH TRENCH.

1.30 p.m. The Bn moved forward to the BLACK LINE (present front line & jumping off line for 73rd Bde.)

Within a few minutes of arrival the Bn went over the top (3.10 p.m.) under an excellent barrage.

DISPOSITIONS: -

RT FRONT COY B Coy under Capt. R.S.DOVE

LT FRONT COY A Coy under Capt. F.J. STRATTEN

RT SUPPORT COY D Coy under 2/Lt. DAWKINS

LT SUPPORT COY C Coy under Lt. ROBERTS

Moppers-up were commanded by 2/Lt. C.W. WALLIS (D Coy) & 2/Lt. R.W. PHILLIPS (B Coy)

Our objective was known as the Green Line. It extended from the front edge of RAVINE WOOD on the right, via OLIVE TRENCH, to the HOLLEBEKE RD on the left. The objective was gained without much difficulty, the Coy on the right consolidating well in front of RAVINE WOOD & VERHAEST FM. Owing to the Division on our left not coming forward with us, ‘A’ Coy was left with their flank in the air, & had to perform a difficult movement to protect themselves. They were therefore unable to consolidate the left half of OLIVE TRENCH. ‘C’ Coy (Left Support Coy) had to be called on to assist ‘A’ Coy (Left Front) to form a defensive flank.

During the first day the enemy’s artillery was erratic & the Bn suffered more from lack of water than from anything else. During the attack about 100 unwounded & 20 wounded were captured, mostly in the RAVINE – also 5 machine guns, 1 trench mortar & a large quantity of material. The prisoners included 2 officers.

June 8: Quiet in the morning. Patrols on right Coy front found no sign of enemy – on left OLIVE TRENCH was found to be held by enemy. Shelling in afternoon. Heavy reciprocal fire by both artilleries from 7 p.m. to 9. p.m.

If you would like it then I think that I also have a divisional map for that offensive from the Brigade war diary -- somewhere...

S.

Hi Simon

Thanks, that'll save me a bit of work. The divisional map would be ace, is that something you could pm or attach here?

Do you have a photo of your great uncle (in uniform) that I could use on the front page of the website? I can't find any pictures of the 13th at all. I'd obviously give a credit line to you.

Cheers.

Jason

ah yes. i should have added .....that I don't have to pay £3.95 for.

Now that i've typed this it does seem that i'm being mean.

post-85735-0-86733800-1355329463_thumb.j

Hi Simon

Thanks, that'll save me a bit of work. The divisional map would be ace, is that something you could pm or attach here?

Do you have a photo of your great uncle (in uniform) that I could use on the front page of the website? I can't find any pictures of the 13th at all. I'd obviously give a credit line to you.

Cheers.

Jason

Hi Jason,

One map attached, taken from the 73rd Brigade War Diary.

If one existed then I would have been happy to provide you with a photograph of my great great uncle Arthur, but as far as I am aware there is absolutely nothing in the family records. All I know is that according to the CWGC Lance Corporal Arthur Hodgson was serving with the 13th Middlesex when he was killed on or about 8th June 1917. His elder brother (Nathaniel) was killed in February of 1915 while serving with the 3rd Battalion Middlesex Regiment, but there is also no photographic record of Nathaniel. Neither are buried in a known grave, so their names are listed on the Menin Gate, but at least both of their service records survived -- barely...

S.

Thanks again Simon, that's brill.

Let me know if you publish an account of arthur online and i'll happily add a link from the website.

Cheers.

jason

Hi Jason,

I don't actually have any plans to put anything on line as for the most part my delving into the Middlesex Regiment history has really been for private family research, but if you ever expand your site to include information on specific soldiers then I'd be happy to provide you with any information that I can.

FYI, Arthur Hodgson was a career soldier, having joined the Middlesex Regiment in 1911 and served in the 3rd, 4th and 6th Battalions, before being transferred to the 13th Battalion in August 1916 -- having already been listed as permanently unfit for the front in June 1915. Here's another image of the area where the 13th Battalion were attacking in June 1917 -- a friend overlaid the trench maps with a modern-day Google Map image, which has worked out really well.

S.

post-85735-0-66812700-1355401380_thumb.j

• 8 months later...
Guest jimmyjumper

I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM.I AM LOOKING INTO THE NAMES ON MY LOCAL WAR MEMORIAL....HARROW WEALD,MIDDX. A 'J.WHARTON PTE.13TH MIDDLESEX' IS RECORDED BUT WITH NO FURTHER DETAILS. I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO TRACE HIM AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES,SOLDIERS DIED ETC. IS THERE A ROLL OF HONOUR OR LIST AVAILABLE WHERE MORE INFO.ON THIS SOLDIER CAN BE FOUND.? MANY THANKS FOR THE HELP.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Not sure that I can help. As you probably know war diaries very rarely mention 'other ranks' by name. Good luck with your project.

Jason