Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Conscientious Objector-James Scott Duckers

MichaelBully

When I was at the NA recently found a file HO 45/311118 about a Conscientious Objector -James Scott Duckers.

Apparently he was the chairman of an organisation called 'Stop the War Committee', and a solicitor who supported COs, only to be called up himself but refused to fight.

Anyone heard of this chap or the 'Stop the War Committee' ?

Found little about him on line, but know that his case was covered in 'The Daily Express ' of 28th April 1916.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?SearchInit=0&txtsearchterm=James+Scott+Duckers&txtfirstdate=&txtlastdate=&txtrestriction=HO&hdnsorttype=Reference&image1.x=27&image1.y=14

Only had time to quickly glance through file and will try to study this file in more detail when I am next at the NA

Regards

Michael Bully

Interesting to know MB. I am going to try to check local papers around 28th April 1916 to see if there is any coverage of him in line with The Daily Express feature.

I wonder who was involved with the 'Stop The War Committee' - have never heard of them before .

Regards

Michael Bully

He was also active in the No-Conscription Fellowship..

That's great, Getting quite curious to know more about Duckers and why his case is not so well known ,even though the newspapers of the time featured him. Regards.

A quick glance at the British Newspaper Archive shows there was a lot of coverage of "Rifleman Scott Duckers" as some of them liked to refer to him

http://www.britishne...h=scott duckers

(You'd have to but credits to view the actual articles but you get the idea).

From reading 'Handed Over' , interesting to note that Duckers decided not to resist being called up by applying to a Military Service Tribunal to be considered a Conscientious Objector.

Would like to learn more about Scott Duckers' life following his release from prison.

• 9 months later...

Thanks - most welcome. I had forgotten about this thread ! Since first posting, have got hold of Keith Robbins' 'The Abolition of War- The Peace Movement in Britain 1914- 1919' from 1976:. Duckers and the 'Stop The War Committee' are not referenced in the index.

Regards

Michael Bully

When I was at the NA recently found a file HO 45/311118 about a Conscientious Objector -James Scott Duckers.

Michael Bully

The correct TNA reference for this file is HO 45/10808/311118

Thanks for checking & for correcting. Regards

The correct TNA reference for this file is HO 45/10808/311118